Do you use strict or transitional HTML or XHTML?

Which do you use?

• Strict (HTML or XHTML 1.0)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Transitional (HTML or XHTML 1.0)

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • XHTML 1.1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sclewin

Reaction score
I just finished skimming through a comprehensive book on HTML to update myself and it basically suggested against using strict and outright said that XHTML 1.1 is overkill.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I always use Transitional. Strict is better standards wise, by I can't be bothered most of the time.

*Moved to Crossfire*
It isn't a request for Programming Help so it doesn't fit there.

Last edited:

drymouse

Reaction score
most of the time I use XHTML 1.0 transitional, mostly because I'm used to it :p , sometimes when I use strict I have to check if things work with css as I expect them to work, which is not good when what I want is to get things done fast.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
most of the time I use XHTML 1.0 transitional, mostly because I'm used to it :p , sometimes when I use strict I have to check if things work with css as I expect them to work, which is not good when what I want is to get things done fast.

I use strict where possible. My site validates as Strict, but I needed the <iframe> tag unfornately, which caused me to need to switch over to Transitional. And I always code to the lateat standards, in this case XHTML. HTML 4.0 is old and messy, XML-based markup is _much_ easier to make sense of.

-Luke.

Hazirak

Reaction score
I always use strict unless transitional or frameset is absolutely necessary (i.e. a client refuses to budge for anything). It encourages a cleaner layout for my sites and forces me to keep content and presentation separate, which in turn makes them easier to modify later if needed.

If I need something such as an <iframe> effect, there's usually a workaround I can take advantage of (such as making a <div> tag an exact size, setting its overflow property in CSS to add scroll bars rather than stretching it out, and using a PHP include to toss in whatever goes into it).

theafterthought

Reaction score
I use Transitional but in an ideal world I would know as much as Hazirak to be able to use Strict.

I've never actually looked into XHTML 1.1 come to think of it...

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
i am using xhtml 1.0 translational

sclewin

Reaction score
I have decided that I am going to go with transitional to give me more freedom and make sure all my pages validate. I am going to try my best to be as close as possible to strict, but I am not going to spend hours in that attempt.

Dan

Reaction score
Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'I use strict'. Posts should say why you like it and why you don't like the other or why you think this, and why you think that person is wrong etc. etc.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I learned html 4.01, then somebody showed to me xhtml 1.0. I though it was great because there was no caps, and it followed the ruling of xml, which was the initial creator of html. I don't use strict because I would take me hours to do things that takes minutes with transitional. However, even though I use transitional, I try to use the most css possible.