Do you use tables to control your web page content?

Do you use tables to control your web page content?

• Always

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Never

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't really, but I just find it easier to put everything in a simple table.
I have started to move away from tables now though.

*Moved to Crossfire*
It isn't a request for Programming Help so it doesn't fit there.

Last edited:

sclewin

Reaction score
*Moved to Crossfire*
It isn't a request for Programming Help so it doesn't fit there.

I'm sorry. You will probably need to move my other question.

Okay, you moved it. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'm sorry. You will probably need to move my other question.

Okay, you moved it. Thank you.
Yes, I moved them both at the same time.

Trigintillion

Reaction score
Well, tables and <div>'s are useful in their own specific areas. I usually put tables in to map out the outer structure of my sites, and then <div>'s to hold the content areas.

nterror

Reaction score
I keep reading that tables are done, and to always use <div> tags.

I remember coming across a few that recommended <ul> tags instead. I've done that about once, and never did it again. :eek4:

brettzuya

Reaction score

I remember coming across a few that recommended <ul> tags instead. I've done that about once, and never did it again. :eek4:
:nuts:hmm? <div><ul>? hmmm i have no any idea whats you suppose to mean.

Last edited:

marshian

Reaction score

<ul> tags define a list... you know:
Code:
<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
</ul>

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
<ul> tags define an unordered list, <ol> for ordered ones (with numbers, not bullets), and <li> tags define list items. Not for page structure at all.

And tables are really annoying. I used to organise everything with them, but I'm a good boy now and use <div> tags to do it. It can take ages sometimes, but when you get the desired result at the end of it, it feels great.

Use <div>s!

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
There is a neat tool here called table to css, and it is supposed to be able to convert a template made with tables into one made using CSS. Unfortunately it's only a trial, but it may still be of some use.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
There is a neat tool here called table to css, and it is supposed to be able to convert a template made with tables into one made using CSS. Unfortunately it's only a trial, but it may still be of some use.

Seems like a scam site to me, I wouldn't trust them.

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
Seems like a scam site to me, I wouldn't trust them.
I wouldn't buy their software, but the trial seems to be fine, no viruses or anything, and it uninstalls correctly.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I'm not too far into learning HTML yet, so I just use tables :lockd: . I'm thinking about switching over to xHTML, but I don't think I will. After I'm done with HTML, I'm going to learn CSS.

nterror

Reaction score
I cant seem to find it at the moment, but the site suggested <ul></ul> tags as an alternative to <div></div>. With enough CSS it works, but I wouldn't suggests it. Just brought it up in case someone else came across something like that. At the time it was interesting...but a headache soon followed. :rant2:

chianghl

Reaction score
i used the <ul></ul> for my panel navigation since it makes things neater. I normally use table as an outer shell for my site and then the div tags to arrange the contents within the table so that I can have more control over the layout of the site.

sclewin

Reaction score
I try my best at creating a website without tables for layout, but in some cases a table is much faster, easier, and works better. One such instance is when I need to simply place two objects beside each other. With tables you only need to create a small two column table and place the objects in each column.

In the future I plan on doing more reading on CSS and eventually I will probably reach the state where I am good enough to write all my pages without tables. Until then I will use them as little as possible.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of turning lots of my table based pages into ones with a nice CSS powered layout. But there are still a few things that I could do with tables that I haven't yet been able to do with DIVs and CSS.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Tables are OK and should be used in places. For example, when you've got data which should be displayed in a table such as measurements. But using them for content organisation is a no-no.

-Luke.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, I use tables on my site. One of these days I'll probably switch to iFrames if I see that they are suitable enough, but I have to find a new site design and of course theme my forum.