Drupal newbie

tomsm

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I want to create an online catalog using Drupal.
I have installed Drupal with Fantastico and upgraded it to version 6.
The site that I create here on X10Hosting is for learning and developing purposes.
I have read about the modules Ubercart and ecommerce for drupal.
Which one is the best? Tips are very welcome! ;)

lionheart8

Reaction score
Hi

Some people would say Ubercart. Anyway, I am sure if you raised the same question in Drupal forums at http://drupal.org/forum and in fact even before that, if you tried searching the forums, you are likely to get a detailed comparison of the 2 modules, etc. I have seen some threads addressing that question before, in the last couple of weeks.

;)

reybre

Reaction score
Yeah....gow tih ubersoft
Edit:
ubertrack sorry

Last edited:

revoman

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I want to create an online catalog using Drupal.
I have installed Drupal with Fantastico and upgraded it to version 6.
The site that I create here on X10Hosting is for learning and developing purposes.
I have read about the modules Ubercart and ecommerce for drupal.
Which one is the best? Tips are very welcome! ;)

Ecommerce is good, but why no use Joomla? There is lots more development going on for it.

kajasweb

Reaction score
Drupal is the BEST CMS, I have ever used. But, you have to keep an eye on the updates & security patches to keep your Drupal updated & secure. Particularly, when you're going to do e-Commerce, try to be on your toes.

My vote is for eCommerce Module.

*P.S. Drupal 6.1 Released

Last edited:

tomsm

Reaction score
thank you for the tips! I will also check out Drupal 6.1 and install it.
Does anyone know good book/e-books about Drupal and ecommerce?

Last edited:

Synkc

Reaction score
Hey and welcome to x10Hosting!
Enjoy your time with us. :)

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to x10. Have a wonderful time with us.

lionheart8

Reaction score
One thing I know, though is that most/many modules for Drupal 6.0 are not out yet. It is also possible some additional ones you may need may not be ready yet.
To go it safe, install Drupa 5.7 which is fully functional with all the stable modules available and upgrade later.
You lose absolutely nothing.
In Drupal forums such issues come up and one receives that kind of advice.
Currently, a community site I run has a good number of modules for D6 not ready, but it's absolutely ok.

Actually as u can see here http://drupal.org/project/ecommerce (as of 16th April, 2008) ... the Drupal 6.0 version of eCommerce is not there yet.
;)

satbir

Reaction score
I agree with all who voted for Drupal and specially Kaja who had helped me for initial hiccups.

As far as version is concerned, check out the modules you are going to use and if that is available in 6 then I would go with 6 to avoid hassle to upgrade. If not then you have no choice but to go with older version...

holeepassion

Reaction score
Could someobody provides step by step instructions for installing Drupal here to help me avoiding issues ? First time here ?

I need to create a gallery of pictures and maybe cataloques where I somebody could add their comments on the pages directly ?

Any suggestions ? I know I would know some sort of database. Now that is another issue, never really installed one ? Any tips and/or step by step instructions please ?

Thank you very much in advance ?

Best regards
Edit:
Drupal is the BEST CMS, I have ever used. But, you have to keep an eye on the updates & security patches to keep your Drupal updated & secure. Particularly, when you're going to do e-Commerce, try to be on your toes.

My vote is for eCommerce Module.

*P.S. Drupal 6.1 Released

what is the diff between the two by the way ? could we switch between them easily ???

thanks
holeepassion.com administrator ...

Last edited:

lionheart8

Reaction score
Hi
I wrote a brief tutorial on how to install Drupal found at http://forums.x10hosting.com/scripts-3rd-party-apps/46888-install-drupal.html#post272134

If u want to use the latest version of Drupal, ie currently 5.7 OR 6.2, use method 2.
Method 1 is easier but Fantastico normally has slightly older versions. .. if it has any of the 2, then it's OK.
If u followed the arguements above regarding which version, ie whether 5.7 or 6.2, based on module availability, u should have settled for one by now.

I assume u know your way around your Cpanel, creating a database there, which is DEFINITELY needed & probably using an FTP client. If u intend to run a website, it's high to learn to if u not yet.

There are important tutorials at http://drupal.org/handbooks, especially "Getting started" to help one set up a Drupal site. Please TAKE TIME to check them out. You will appreciate knowing that stuff.
If u learn the fundamentals, u will know how to install extra stuff like the image module which will definitely need. etc.

Good luck

Last edited: