Firefox using Yahoo search when domain doesn't exist

fempower

Reaction score
I'd rather Firefox just show an error itself. I had to redo my profile since the old one got messed up, and now I can't find where this setting is. Any help would be much appreciated.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd rather Firefox just show an error itself. I had to redo my profile since the old one got messed up, and now I can't find where this setting is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Please excuse me if I'm missing something, but just which setting can't you find?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If the page is coming up as an ISP's partner page, there's your answer. Last Spring many ISPs especially in the US put in domain name search redirection which would take domain names that did not resolve correctly and enter it into the ISP's search page. This could be fixed by moving to other DNS servers or by opting out. As far as I know, Firefox will and should always display an error if it cannot resolve or connect to a site.

And by profile, do you mean your computer account?

hezuo

Reaction score
it happens the same to me. is there any way to change it?

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
there is a way to change it, I did it on my firefox profile, I just need to remember how... will post back.

Ok I have it

* In the address bar, type about:config (accept any warning)
* In the filter search field, type 'keyword.URL' (without the quotes)
* Revert the value to default, it should be 'http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=', if not, copy the value I posted in the field
* Restart firefox

And Voila!

Last edited:

fempower

Reaction score
By profile, I mean Firefox profile and the setting I can't find is the one that makes Firefox itself show an error (instead of a Yahoo search) when a domain isn't found. It is not an ISP-level setting since I haven't changed ISPs. And keyword.URL is not the right setting, I've already tried it. Thanks for trying xav0989. Any other ideas?