Free SSL certificates from StartSSL

espfutbol98

Reaction score
Here's an awesome site I found to get free SSL certificates. They are an unlimited number of single domain server certificates and S/MIME email certificates. They are not trial certs, they last "one to two years" and this is not a promotion. StartSSL is a verified CA and also issues Extended Validation certs.

The url is:
https://startssl.com/

From StartSSL's FAQ:
Code:
[B]90.) Why are Class 1 certificates free?[/B]

The philosophy of StartCom is guided by the principal that our services are charged 
according to the effort we have to invest. Since Class 1 certificates are domain and/or email
 validated only and the process is performed mostly by electronic and automatic means,
 StartCom doesn't apply any fees for this type of certification. StartCom started the
 certification authority a few years ago with the goal to provide free digital certification and
 adopted a unique business model previously unknown in this industry.
This is not spam, I use these free certificates on my site all the time and I think others should know about this.

lurid

Reaction score
I use this service, too. It's really simple to figure out..
I'm replying to this ancient thread to tell future readers about this: When you're asked to submit your CSR while using the "Certificates Wizard," if you don't use OpenSSL, you can use the "Generated by Myself" option on the form with a CSR from this website (use the code in the second box, of course).
Alternatively, you can use this site, which serves pretty much the exact same function as the one linked above.

Last edited: