Fresh install of Windows XP help.

Reaction score
Hey all,

We've got two computers here.

Mine with internet and Vista running fine - no problems.

Mum's reformatted/reinstalled XP - nothing on.

I've got a router and my internet connection is still fine.

Just trying to install the Netgear stuff onto the XP but it's obviously a very basic version with no service packs and it wants Sp1 on there. I downloaded SP1 onto a memory stick and tried to run it on the XP computer from the memory stick but it said that it expected a different version.

How do I get the internet back on through the router on this XP computer? Or get the updates on it?

What I have done is put a the XP installation CD in and let it do it's thing so it's a VERY basic XP set up from scratch.

Cheers

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What's the netgear software you're trying to install? It should install fine without any service pack. If not, try and get an older version of that software from the netgear site.

Also, what sp1 are you trying to put on? It should be download from microsoft.com, not some other host. That's the only way you can ensure that you're getting the right thing that hasn't been tampered with.

Hope that helps.
Maybe Smith could give you better advice...

xPlozion

Reaction score
you shouldn't need the software. i've had linksys and netgear routers and never did i install the software they offer.

make sure that you've got dhcp enabled on the router, and if not, find what a valid static ip for within the network would be. if you've got dhcp enabled, make sure that in the settings for that ethernet controller, that it get's the settings automatically (dhcp), and if it still doesn't work, try run -> cmd -> ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew .

if it's static, just put the values in the fields for the network properties (tcp/ip).

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
you shouldn't need the software. i've had linksys and netgear routers and never did i install the software they offer.
Ummm, I run windows vista, and they're supposed to have a whole ton of drivers, but I still had to install the drivers for my linksys usb network adapter. Vista didn't have the drivers for it. If vista didn't I wouldn't expect xp to have it either.

Though, of course, we're talking about two different drivers here...
Just a thought. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score

make sure that you've got dhcp enabled on the router, and if not, find what a valid static ip for within the network would be. if you've got dhcp enabled, make sure that in the settings for that ethernet controller, that it get's the settings automatically (dhcp), and if it still doesn't work, try run -> cmd -> ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew .

if it's static, just put the values in the fields for the network properties (tcp/ip).

dhcp IS enabled.

Are you saying in the settings on the XP computer make sure it gets the settings of the dhcp automatically?

I'm not quite that techy.

Thanks for quick replies so far.

Geez, I've got to be on a train in six hours, not had any sleep yet, going out all day. Sorry, off track there a little.

Wish I hadn't started this now, but it HAD to done. Her computer was a laughing stock :lol::lol::lol:

xPlozion

Reaction score
Ummm, I run windows vista, and they're supposed to have a whole ton of drivers, but I still had to install the drivers for my linksys usb network adapter. Vista didn't have the drivers for it. If vista didn't I wouldn't expect xp to have it either.

Though, of course, we're talking about two different drivers here...
Just a thought.
and it sounds like you've got a wireless card/wireless setup...

i was assuming that he's connecting it with a patch cable, not wirelessly 0:)

EDIT:

posting while you posted.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections -> Right Click Local Area Connection # -> Properties -> Under the General tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties and make sure all the settings are to obtain addresses automatically ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
and it sounds like you've got a wireless card/wireless setup...

i was assuming that he's connecting it with a patch cable, not wirelessly 0:)

It is wireless, yes. It's Netgear DG834 I think looking at the device settings page.

Geez, I'm a NOOB. :eek4:

xPlozion

Reaction score
well, i'm no use when it comes to wireless setups. everything in my house is hard-wired :-/

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well, i'm no use when it comes to wireless setups. everything in my house is hard-wired :-/
Maybe Smith can help. He seems to know a lot about wireless networks.

dquigley

Reaction score
My suggestion is, move the computer to a direct cable connection, hook up the internet that way, run all the microsoft updates, THEN install the hardware and move it back.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My suggestion is, move the computer to a direct cable connection, hook up the internet that way, run all the microsoft updates, THEN install the hardware and move it back.
If he can do that, then that is definitely by far the fastest and easiest way to go. BUT, he might not be able to do that. I know I couldn't do that, we've only got one dsl box and the main comp. is connected to that. I access the internet mainly through a neighbors router, and occasionally through ours when it works. :hahano:

VPmase

Reaction score
What kind of computer is it? Full name preferably.
I.E. Mine is a HP Pavillion tx2500 Notebook PC

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If he can do that, then that is definitely by far the fastest and easiest way to go. BUT, he might not be able to do that. I know I couldn't do that, we've only got one dsl box and the main comp. is connected to that. I access the internet mainly through a neighbors router, and occasionally through ours when it works. :hahano:

LOL. Want me to help you fix your DSL? I've helped many people online especially over at DSLReports with their lines :)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
LOL. Want me to help you fix your DSL? I've helped many people online especially over at DSLReports with their lines :)
Sure, I'd be very grateful for any help.
It's the wifi that has the problem, the main computer that my dad works off of is connected directly to the wall jack. The rest of us are on wifi, and I'm in the opposite corner of the house. (closer to our neigbor's router than our own.) When I'm in the office, about 10' away from the router, the connections pretty good, so I'm not sure that the problem is with the dsl.

So, if you want to try and help, I'd much appreciate it. ;)

Reaction score
Sorry all, fell asleep after I posted this on Friday. Had an early morning get away Saturday and hadn't planned to stay the night out.

Posted elsewhere on another set of forums too and it seems it may have been down to not putting the exe on to the computer and trying to run it rather than trying to run it from the memory stick.

Got XP SP3 installed on there now and it's just going through updating automatically and managed to get Netgear software on fine - XP's back on the internet.

Thanks for replies anyways.

x10Always.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry all, fell asleep after I posted this on Friday. Had an early morning get away Saturday and hadn't planned to stay the night out.

Posted elsewhere on another set of forums too and it seems it may have been down to not putting the exe on to the computer and trying to run it rather than trying to run it from the memory stick.

Got XP SP3 installed on there now and it's just going through updating automatically and managed to get Netgear software on fine - XP's back on the internet.

Thanks for replies anyways.

x10Always.

Glad to hear you got it working! :thefinger

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sure, I'd be very grateful for any help.
It's the wifi that has the problem, the main computer that my dad works off of is connected directly to the wall jack. The rest of us are on wifi, and I'm in the opposite corner of the house. (closer to our neigbor's router than our own.) When I'm in the office, about 10' away from the router, the connections pretty good, so I'm not sure that the problem is with the dsl.

So, if you want to try and help, I'd much appreciate it. ;)

OK then, PM me and I'll see what I can do. It may be a simple fix, it may be something more complex. By the way, I find that installing the most basic hardware devices for anything except video cards does make a difference in the long run. Basically, on my gaming box I'm using software built into Vista to control and change much of my hardware, and the video card is the only thing that uses a 3rd party program to edit settings and such. Netgear's software can be buggy at times, I've had a few PCs in my home BSOD over the software/driver that was installed (before I cleaned out the driver and installed a basic driver) and the driver was for a Netgear device.

Last edited: