Gas pumps cheating

IonCannon218

Reaction score
CHEATING at the gas pumps
(PRINT OUT YOUR RECEIPTS!!!)

This is true. It happened to them three weeks ago somewhere in Pomona on our way to Pechanga. The pump should have totaled @ $68.00 (and change). When the receipt was printed,and she ch ecked it was $ 77.00 (and change).

She got mad, went inside the store, asked for a calculator and let them do the math. They refunded her.she told them that if they cheat, they had better make it right. Normally, her husband would skip printing the receipt. Not her......

We saw on the news the other night that this is happening everywhere.

Brian pumped exactly one gallon of gas. The price did not match the cost of one gallon. It was higher. He went inside and complained, got a refund.

There is also a number on each pump that you can call and complain.

This is a true story, so read it carefully.

On April 24, 2008, I stopped at a BP gas station in GA. My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank. I use the mid-grade, which was priced at $3.71 pergallon. When my tank is at this poin t, it takes somewhere around 14gallons to fill it up.

When the pump showed 14 gallons had been pumped, I began to slow it down. Then, to my surprise, it went to 15, then 16. I even looked under mytruck to see if it was being spilled. It was not.

Then it showed 17 gallons on the pump. It stopped at 18 gallons. This was very strange to me,since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank. I went on my way a little confuse d, then on the evening news I heard a report that 1 out of 4 gas stations had calibrated their pumps to show more gas had been pumped than a person actually got.

Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right amount:

Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank, then look at the dollar amount. If the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged.

In my case, as I said,the mid-grade was $3.71 9/10 per gallon; my dollar amount for 10 gallons should have been $37.19. I wish I had checked the pump. It doesn't matter where you pump gas....please check the 10 gallon price. If you do find a station that is cheating, contact the state Agriculture Department, and direct your comments to the Commissioner.......the info is on the gas pumps.

Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all people in your
address book. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of customers.The gas companies are making enough profits at honest rates.

I got that in an email.

osaeed2003

Reaction score
****ing gas ass bastards, if that happens to me, im gonna rip the gas pump apart and shove it up the managers ass!!

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Also look to see if there is an inspection sheet on it. In Massachusetts gas pumps need to be certified by the town yearly. If it is off, you call the inspector and they can fine the gas station I think.

Domenico

Reaction score
I hate those types of emails. Sure it MAY be worth reading (like 5% of the time) but normally it's some garbage conceived by a 9-year-old with the sociology need to make a chin letter. I normally delete emails when I see it was also sent to 1 thousand of my closest friends.

Anyways, if you ever go to a new gas station it makes sense to do what the letter says. Why not? What do you have to lose? Money...if you don't.

kkenny

Reaction score
But this one really happens in real life. My friend almost got scammed out of 15$ by a gas pump.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Another thing gas stations are doing now is saying that gas is cheaper than it really is on the signs. Then, on tiny, separate signs hardly visible, it says cash only. Who uses cash at a pump?!? While you are using your credit card and getting scammed, they are praying you don't notice. As of now, that is perfectly legal. As for the rigged pumps, that is pretty bold.

~Twinkie

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
A. Gas has gone up, and station owners are being affected
B. Sometimes the pumps break down over time, thus a legit reason they're off
C. There were reports of many Texaco stations in Texas owned by one owner that had many pumps that were off. I believe he was fined.
D. Oil companies are making tons of money for now, but that money will be invested in offshore drilling and research into synthetic lubricants as even if we run out of gas, we still need oil to keep our machines running

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
A) Gas goes up for legitimate reasons like hurricanes and earthquakes. What bothers me and probably all of us is that the prices don't go back down. We should be in the $2 range.
B) I doubt that so many pumps have been affected by time instead of greed. Maybe that statistics are off, but its enough to have a thread about it.
C) That goes to show it was intentional. Good to see the government taking action.
D) Gas pumps do cost a lot, but it does not serve the people they are drilling for to suck our wallets dry to build a business empire if gasoline is estimated to run out in 45 years or so. I'm sure when the gas starts running out that they will increase the prices even more.

~Twinkie

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Still $3.47 over here. It won't go in the $2 range, the companys are cutting production as a barrel of oil goes down to prevent that (Thus saving crude, bravo to them). Seriously I hate it when people complain gas goes up 10 cents. I am going to say an average car has 18 gallon gas tank, if it goes up 50 cents, that's $1.80/more a fill-up. If you can't afford $ more per fillup, then don't drive the car. Also remember some gas companies use watered down gas, which can affect the gas mileage of your car and how long it will last.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Still $3.47 over here. It won't go in the $2 range, the companys are cutting production as a barrel of oil goes down to prevent that (Thus saving crude, bravo to them). Seriously I hate it when people complain gas goes up 10 cents. I am going to say an average car has 18 gallon gas tank, if it goes up 50 cents, that's $1.80/more a fill-up. If you can't afford $ more per fillup, then don't drive the car. Also remember some gas companies use watered down gas, which can affect the gas mileage of your car and how long it will last.

That's just my opinion.

I'm sorry but watered down gas will ruin your engine. The only time water manages to get into gas is if rainwater gets into a leaky/rusted underground gas tank. If oil companies put water in their gas you'd immediately see stories about people's cars being unable to start and run smoothly.

The only thing that sets all oil companies apart is the additives they put in to keep the engine clean (detergents to be specific)

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
Wow, that's so low. In california it's a $4.00 average, with my area around $3.90

Lowest I've seen it this year was $3.50, after the market crash.