Good content manager?

Maz_P

Reaction score
I suppose the question of 'which CMS' to use on my account - comes initially down to a few things.

• Support
  • Ease of installation/operation.
  • Flexibility
  • Security
  • Speed
  • Is it available on Fantastico in my control panel :dunno:

Visiting http://www.opensourcecms.com/ would probably be the best place for anybody to visit first before they commit to any particular system.

They have most of the major CMS's and other web systems available there for you to play about with at your hearts content. The installations are refreshed every couple of hours and you have admin status to that system.

When I was personally hunting for a system a few years ago, there were a few other factors that I discovered can be quite important, although it would depend on the requirements that you have in mind.

Themes:
  • Are there free templates I can download, and can they easily be modified to suit my needs.
  • Are there plenty of 'onboard' themes supplied for me to try.

Plugins:
  • If I need a particular function, is there somewhere I can download them from, and again that magic statement 'Are they free'.

Complexity of Operation:
  • What sort of Technical expertise will I need to operate my CMS.
  • Will I need to be able to program in a particular web language to build my site.

Size of installation:
  • If I have limited webspace will it fit
  • If I have a slow connection - will it take a long time to upload the main system and updates.

Intended Use:
  • Do I need to have a membership system installed
  • Can the users be classified with different rights
  • Can statistics be produced if I need them
  • Can different databases be accessed
In fact this list can be quite exaustive and would be need to be examined very carefully for your perfect CMS

My personal preference is e107, probably followed by Joomla.

I have tried and used most of the other CMS's within different projects, and the underlying factor of which sytem to use has probably been infuenced by the above list.
For example no-one in their right mind would use something like Typo3 to create a simple 'my family' type of website - using a complex programming system to probably create what will essentially be static webpages. Maybe you would - but me - no way!

Maybe someone should start a thread with your CMS and its use, so people could initially get a feel for what type of CMS is being used for what purpose?
That way prospective CMS's could be chosen by noting what they are being used for and whether or not it would suit them. I would advocate that this would be an initial starting point but would recommend that the other factors I have suggested are also taken in to account.

legendphil

Reaction score
hao!

everything you spoke of, I mean the features/characteristics are joomla-ish..

I don't know if you can access different databases with it, or any of the CMS in fantastico.. but I'm thinking that you can write a new script for bout the mySQL connection stuff. You can also grant members with ranks and rights in the frontend as well as in the backend.

about the themes.. they're everywhere but some of the really cool ones are not free. plugins are found in http://extensions.joomla.org.

the net says joomla has a problem with speed though.. funny, can't feel the flaw.

prasad

Reaction score
I used to run forum-centered websites. And loved the Joomla-SMF combo... but the joomla-SMF bridge is now no more! :( Anyway, Joomla is the best CMS IMO.

maikefutesi

Reaction score
Just install EasyPHP if you don't have it and test a few CMSs locally, and pick the one you like best.