Google becoming an ISP!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure some of the more Tech-oriented people have seen this already, however Google has announced today that they are going to be running fiber optic broadband to 50,000 to 500,000 homes in a community or two in the United States. They state that each home will get up to 1Gbps of connectivity (Yes, Gigabit, meaning 128MB/s of bandwidth!) and that the network will be open to a provider of the user's choice.

http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi

Google is hoping by doing this they will show other private companies what Fiber Optic Internet really means to people, and is also trying to show the government where broadband money would be best spent.

miguelkp

Reaction score
It's a great new for my country, since Telefonica has almost a monopoly (completely illegal in my opinion) in net infrastructure terms.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure some of the more Tech-oriented people have seen this already, however Google has announced today that they are going to be running fiber optic broadband to 50,000 to 500,000 homes in a community or two in the United States. They state that each home will get up to 1Gbps of connectivity (Yes, Gigabit, meaning 128MB/s of bandwidth!) and that the network will be open to a provider of the user's choice.

Google is hoping by doing this they will show other private companies what Fiber Optic Internet really means to people, and is also trying to show the government where broadband money would be best spent.

I can't wait until Fiber Optic is more widely available in the United States. It's taking forever.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd really rather not have Google knowing even more about us, they already trawl enough information out of our searches.
They may say "they will show other private companies what Fiber Optic Internet really means to people" , but it is clearly just another route they can use to collect info for their advertising. No company invests that sort of money just to show people, they want a profit out of this and advertising it Google primary income.
Thanks Google, but no thanks.

wongers

Reaction score
i like the way the UK is just up to 50mb fibre optic and everyone is like WOW, so much so that everyone has signed up to it and now the ISP (Virgin Media) cant handle all the traffic from everyone joining the service!

in other news, our government thought they were being really clever when they announced that they vowed to get the entire country on to 2mb broadband. lets just say no-one was impressed by this :p

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

Thats a great news for US. but sadly not for us :(

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
i like the way the UK is just up to 50mb fibre optic and everyone is like WOW, so much so that everyone has signed up to it and now the ISP (Virgin Media) cant handle all the traffic from everyone joining the service!

in other news, our government thought they were being really clever when they announced that they vowed to get the entire country on to 2mb broadband. lets just say no-one was impressed by this :p

That's what happens when you have a "Fiber Optic" provider which happens to be a cable provider providing 50Mbps speeds to everyone through fiber to the node with Cable Modem. You get severe over subscription. Add in the fact I'm sure Virgin Media doesn't even have a global network and you have yourself a nice little way to make some money fast but cause problems down the road. My ISP has one of the largest global fiber networks, so they could probably give a ton of people 100Mbps connections if they really wanted to without having to pay a lot for peering with other networks. They can do this given they keep the last-mile and middle-mile networks upgraded which they've been doing a lot just for FiOS.

I'd really rather not have Google knowing even more about us, they already trawl enough information out of our searches.
They may say "they will show other private companies what Fiber Optic Internet really means to people" , but it is clearly just another route they can use to collect info for their advertising. No company invests that sort of money just to show people, they want a profit out of this and advertising it Google primary income.
Thanks Google, but no thanks.

I guess we'll have to see what they use this network for other than a proof-of-concept, if anything.

I can't wait until Fiber Optic is more widely available in the United States. It's taking forever.

Tell me about it. I've been waiting for FiOS to get here for over four years now! It's two miles away and they haven't built any more infrastructure yet. I'll certainly know when they start to upgrade the CO for FiOS though as from what I've seen around the Internet, Verizon's DSL hits the fan in a FiOS-enabled CO after some time.

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
Lol Smith, this is very true :p and no BT have the global network, i think virgin ran out of money in their budget when trying to cable the whole country.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Yes google! This is like taking what a datacenter has and giving it to consumers :). Lemon-Tree i still dont get what you and others think. So what google looks at some non personally identifiable info almost everything you do is tracked and most of the time they know who you are. So suck it up and dont do anything stupid and it wont matter.
Google Rocks:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes google! This is like taking what a datacenter has and giving it to consumers :). Lemon-Tree i still dont get what you and others think. So what google looks at some non personally identifiable info almost everything you do is tracked and most of the time they know who you are. So suck it up and dont do anything stupid and it wont matter.
Google Rocks:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Don't get me wrong, I like most of Google's products, e.g. Gmail, Search, Analytics, Maps, and so on. It's just I don't really see what Google expects to gain from this. If this turns out to speed up the market then fine, I will take back what I said. Only time will tell.

Edit: Oh and the massive 'Google Rocks', slightly fanboy...

Last edited:

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like most of Google's products, e.g. Gmail, Search, Analytics, Maps, and so on. It's just I don't really see what Google expects to gain from this. If this turns out to speed up the market then fine, I will take back what I said. Only time will tell.

Edit: Oh and the massive 'Google Rocks', slightly fanboy...

Well maybe a little bit. But the main reason I like google is that they are so open about what they do and how they do it. They have revolutionizied the search industry. Their servers are amazing along with their data centers. They are proving just how efficent datacenters and servers can be. Plus they actually offer most of their products for free with a few meager text links supporting them. You wont find a better deal. So there is reason for me to like them not just because i do. I think that google expects to gain something by puting the fiber in place in a new way then chargin courriers money to offer the service to repay the cost of construction. They will also probably make them partner with them for email and stuff like qwest does with microsoft.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Google is really just trying to show how private companies need to spend their money and how doing an expensive project such as this will in fact help economy and please people in the same time, even if the bean counters and investors in companies are displeased. Ironically, if you look at Verizon communications, they've been getting a lot of support over their FiOS service, and though people first bashed it when they started laying the initial cables saying that it'd cost too much money, look at where Verizon is now. They still manage to rake in a profit after spending a couple billion on fiber cabling.

Last edited:

monkeymhz

Reaction score
I heard about this, it looks great. I wonder if they will actually go through with it.