google instant messenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonnesh

Reaction score
Found something else:
----------------------

Meetro and Google?

Search, blogging, maps, photos, email, and now a portal, Google has kept adding to their array of services. Is an instant messenger next for Google? Some say that Google has been planning this move for quite some time. In their Desktop search Google included the protocol handler: google_im://. Google gives the reasonable explanation that it is there for searches of you instant messenger conversations, and it is not there for some future IM software.

Most recently Google has been said to be buying out a company called Meetroduction, LLC for their instant messenger Meetro. Meetro describes themselves with these words:

Technically speaking, Meetro is radius and proximity based software. Untechnically speaking, it finds like-minded people around you instantly. Wherever you are. So whether you’re in-town or out of town, Meetro gets you on the town with old friends or new acquaintances.

So, is it true? Is Google writing the check now? Well, after a chat with Paul Bragiel, CEO of Meetroduction, the word is not right now. He called the whole story “rumors.” These rumors have boosted the number of user to Meetro, but have never been conformed.

Google already has an instant messenger. “Hello” is a product that they received along with Picasa. Said to mostly be for sharing pictures Hello, also allows user to chat about the pictures they share. Google still runs Hello, however, they never talk about it much, except as a way to publish pictures to Blogger.

Is Google trying to get in to the instant messenger market? Well, if they are it is very slowly. Surely, with more and more services will come a full feature instant messenger, but for now Google content to wait for the next big idea in IM.

TripleH14

Reaction score
seems good to me a little plain maybe but if it is real i hope they add stuff to make it better

subvertman

Reaction score
I like it, and the few friends of mine that tried it also did. Even though the prerequisite of having a GMail account might drive some away (some people that we all know that hate registering [or are just too stupid to do it]) but still, it does what's asked of it except file transfers but I think I can live with that for now, the rest is all great.

http://www.google.com/talk/index.html

Articz

Reaction score
just downloaded it and it looks kinda plain but i suppose its still new and itll be updated so ill have a go.

i felt the same way about gmail when it came out but now i gmail is like a must to me so ill probably like google talk more and more

Status
Not open for further replies.