Google's New Operating System

mattura

Reaction score
Apparently Google are developing an operating system to rival Windows. It is said to be based on the Chrome browser and the main aims are for it to start up quickly and run smoothly with web based content.

What do you think? Will Google pull it off? I for one would give it a go...

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I'll certainly give it a go, but it may not replace Windows for me, except on my netbook, and that's only if it'll run Windows apps. :biggrin:

No doubt it'll integrate into Google' online services.

Last edited:

mattura

Reaction score
Yeah, they mentioned somewhere about it being based on cloud computing...not sure how exactly it would all fit together...

steronius

Reaction score
MAYBE if they remove all Google-Analytics & AdSense activities.

Did you know that if you login to google, they save all your search history unless you explicitly turn it off -- click on "My Account" and go to "Web History"

Thank you Google for spying -- major privacy issue here people!!!

(Still My Favorite Search Engine however!!!)

zen-r

Reaction score

steronius

Reaction score
I'm all for it. Google's software has always seemed rather solid.

Speaking of operating systems based on Google chrome that integrate well with web apps, check this linux OS out: http://www.thinkgos.com/cloud/index.html

Yes i found that yesterday also. I'm trying the "gOS", it's ubuntu 8.04 stripped down running enlightenment. seems nicely basic, an OS for grandma.

So I think "Cloud" will be ubuntu plus enlightenment plus chrome. The website said it's not affiliated with Google but I speculate otherwise.

So indeed this could very well be the Google OS in hype right now. Maybe yes, maybe no. time will tell.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes i found that yesterday also. I'm trying the "gOS", it's ubuntu 8.04 stripped down running enlightenment. seems nicely basic, an OS for grandma.

So I think "Cloud" will be ubuntu plus enlightenment plus chrome. The website said it's not affiliated with Google but I speculate otherwise.

So indeed this could very well be the Google OS in hype right now. Maybe yes, maybe no. time will tell.
Yeah, I tried gOS, it was extremely cool, but not heavy duty enough for the work I wanted to do on it. It's kind of like trying to use a netbook as a vps server. ;)

But I think Cloud is just a bootable webbrowser. I don't think there's any classic OS behind it. But they don't give too many details so it's kind of hard to tell.

If the website said their not affiliated with Google, I'd probably be inclined to believe them just because Google chrome is totally open source and Google specifically said that anyone could use any part of (or the whole of) Google chrome with out asking permission or informing them.
But you could be right. Who knows? :dunno:
I think only time will tell...

aaronj10

Reaction score
I do not think it will be even worth trying, with many people knowing how long Google has been up and running, they should also know that windows could be a Grandfather to it.
Windos, Mac, Linux, what have you, would top Google with out a doubt.
In many views, Google got lucky with getting the ammount of people to at least try the Browser "Google Chrom" And personally, in my oppinion, Opera, the Running system for Blackberrys etc. with not being arround as long tops google, just by the fact of how succesful it is with mobile devises.
Good Fight Google :thefinger

PharaohInc

Reaction score
IMHO, I think Google is coming out with this new OS a little bit too late. It would have had a bigger impact if it was released before Windows 7 was even in beta. That was the time when many users that they would have swayed were upset with the uselessness that is Vista. What they are going to find is that they will attract the techies who just love new tech no matter how good it is or if they even need it and those who are basically curious. Most users who already use a mac or linux OS aren't going to switch to a new OS (especially since it is Linux based) easily. So yea...this will be a total waste of Google's resources

pielover375

Reaction score
Google sucks. Even on their Chrome browser, which is supposed to be easy to use, it's a pain in the ass to get flash. Plus, they help the Communist Chinese filter websults.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol, if you live in china then don't use google. Use Scroogle! But I don't think what google has should have any bearing on whether or not you use their free products does it?

taha116

Reaction score
Googles OS will rock windows.... I wonder if it will be free or what? It seems really kool to me....

I honestly think windows is scared of google.... google just plain owns

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Bill Gates is even scared of Linux Torvalds. Microsoft is as good as gone if Windows 7 turns out to be another bad OS. That's why microsoft is putting so much effort into Windows 7.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Computer and Technology

sfan123

Reaction score
Interesting idea by Google but i really dont know if i like everything being web based like that the os will be based on I think that Id rather run actually programs rather than web based stuff like Google docs.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, I don't believe Google can replace windows because they work in different categories. Just the same way Linux has not replaced windows. Google will be gearing towards speed and reliability. Windows will be focusing on features, interface and fixing security holes. They will develop into completely different types of products, like a bike and a mountain bike.

That difference was so clearly outlined in the web site that I can't believe that people are anticipating a war between Microsoft and Google. Google is making a fast and reliable net book OS while Microsoft maintains a powerful and graphic desktop OS. That article said it well though, through this completion and hype, today's problems will be the same as tomorrows.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
IMHO, I think Google is coming out with this new OS a little bit too late. It would have had a bigger impact if it was released before Windows 7 was even in beta. That was the time when many users that they would have swayed were upset with the uselessness that is Vista. What they are going to find is that they will attract the techies who just love new tech no matter how good it is or if they even need it and those who are basically curious. Most users who already use a mac or linux OS aren't going to switch to a new OS (especially since it is Linux based) easily. So yea...this will be a total waste of Google's resources
You seem to think that nothing good can come from a linux based OS. Linux is unix based, so is Mac. Does that make macs bad too? I do agree with you that they might have a hard time getting people to switch over, but not because it will be linux based.

My theory for why people won't switch quickly is because it's something new and we all know how scared certain people on these forums are of trying new stuff.:hahano:

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
You seem to think that nothing good can come from a linux based OS. Linux is unix based, so is Mac. Does that make macs bad too? I do agree with you that they might have a hard time getting people to switch over, but not because it will be linux based.

My theory for why people won't switch quickly is because it's something new and we all know how scared certain people on these forums are of trying new stuff.:hahano:

I'll switch to it on a VM when i can grab it.. Just like windows 7.. heh.. All on my mac..

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Talk about slowing down the system!
To get the true power from any OS, you need to boot it straight, not run it inside of another OS.