HDD Failing?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a desktop, it's probably a little over 5 years old. Needless to say, it's not the best in the world and I primarily use my laptop computer (a year and a month old). I do, however, still use the desktop.

Recently, it's been very slow, especially when starting up. It just shows the "Windows XP" screen for about 5 minutes while it boots up, I guess.

Starting a few minutes ago, I started hearing this clicking noise then it sounded like the HDD was starting and stopping (kinda like a power surge?).

Well, then I got a BSOD and restarted the computer. It seems to not make the noise anymore but I'd really like to know what was going on.

I know tons about computers but nothing about hardware. Does this sound like its the hard drive? Even though I have my laptop, I'd really like to have a desktop as well, I don't really have the money to get a new one, being 16 years old.

=\

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
I thnk its a hard disk failure, frequent fluctuation of power can damage even a new hard disk.
1 yr ago i faced the same problem and i had to replace hard disk and also SMPS

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds like something might be up with the hard drive. What I would personally do though is back up all your data on that drive, and then open up the PC, clean out the dust, and make sure the connections are tight on the drive. I'd also check the SMART data on the hard drive as well before putting it through any more use to see what the drive is in fact logging.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
After rectifying the hardware problem just do a defragmentation

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah it's completely crashed now. Luckily, everything important I had was on my external HD as well. I have another hard drive around here somewhere. I'll just change it out and reinstall Windows I guess.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
Good you had all the important stuff backed up!

Everyone remember: Back up or you could face some problems if your HDD dies!!!!! ;)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah it's completely crashed now. Luckily, everything important I had was on my external HD as well. I have another hard drive around here somewhere. I'll just change it out and reinstall Windows I guess.

+1 for backing up your files. I don't know of many people who actively back up their files. At least you were prepared! Time to go purchase your new drive.

blekyy

Reaction score
+1 for the backup
tip for those who didn't make a back up and face the HDD crash

just remove your HDD from your PC hit it 3 or 5 time and re-plug it, you'll be able to retreive some of your data ( you must have a pc running or a Live CD to do this )

it'w working

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Some Harddisk manufacturer prrovide backup after we surrender it to them,But i dont know how they do it with failed hard disk

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Good you had all the important stuff backed up!

Everyone remember: Back up or you could face some problems if your HDD dies!!!!! ;)

+1 for backing up your files. I don't know of many people who actively back up their files. At least you were prepared! Time to go purchase your new drive.

+1 for the backup

I normally don't backup data but for some reason I just decided to a few weeks ago. Thank goodness I did. I also found this cool program (Dropbox) for people who don't have an external drive, it seems pretty cool.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Use Acronis True Image for freq backups,very usefull software than norton