HELP PLease with backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
ok I backed up my forum today from the cpanel because I wanted to install a mod.
Well the mod didn`t work out so now I want to use the full backup I made. When it was made it put the backup in my directory on the server. PLease tell me how I use this backup. My forum is down now and I cant do anything with it HELP

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
this is the name of the file on the server backup-3.25.2005_08-16-15_bigguy.tar.gz how do I use it

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Hey if you can restore my board thats cool you go right ahead

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I am trying to install mod-ch_210 it is a new mod from http://www.phpbb.com under the mods section at the very bottom of the page. I uploaded everything into the admin/mods/chmod directory on the server and then the readme txt tells you to rename 21 files by putting _sav_ infront of them. I tried installing with easymod. It said I had to make changes to the my sql database manually after installing this mod but didnt tell me what to change. its all in the file called

MOD-categories_hierarchy-210 in the zip file

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=51 link to mod .....mod is 8 from the bottom on this page.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I have to many mods installed to reupload the original files. damn this is the 4th or 5th forum I have made and I thought I had it down. I thought by doing a backup I could experiment a bit. Is there no way to get this back. I also did a full backup frm the admin control panel last night but I cant get to that part of the control panel to restore it that way

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I just clicked on upload in the cpanel. It says restoring files and an arrow pointing up. I would imagine this is trying to restore the forum. Its just sitting there though , how long should this take

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
How big is the file you're trying to restore? You might want to erase all the files it is trying to restore so there are no issues with it overwriting them.

-Corey

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
bigguy said:
I have to many mods installed to reupload the original files. damn this is the 4th or 5th forum I have made and I thought I had it down. I thought by doing a backup I could experiment a bit. Is there no way to get this back. I also did a full backup frm the admin control panel last night but I cant get to that part of the control panel to restore it that way
Ohh yes, when I first started making the forums, I think I had to re-do it like 6 times :laughing: cause of those stupid mods that make everything mess up. Finally I said forget it and made a test forum and installed all the mods that i liked, then the ones that did not work i didnt use on my main forum, but used the ones that did work :laughing:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Corey said:
How big is the file you're trying to restore? You might want to erase all the files it is trying to restore so there are no issues with it overwriting them.

-Corey

The file is about 4.7 mb and it has been sittin there for a bit

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
When I'm home from work I can take a look at it if you don't have it figured out by then.

-Corey

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
ok sounds good and thank you very much for all your help so far it is greatly appreciated

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Now I figured something out the backup-3.25.2005_08-16-15_bigguy.tar.gz that I made in the cpanel, well I unzipped it on the server and it gave me a file under the same name as the backup zip. How do I use these files to restore my forum.

Sorry for not answering about the script I was not here at that time.

Lewis

Reaction score
Okay this should work Ive done it about 3 times now to my personal forums for IPB? if your not using that it should be simular. Okay login to Cpanel go to mysql databases go to the bottom click on the PHpmyadmin link, Find the forum database to the dropdown menu on the left once all the files etc in the database load go to the bottom click check all drop then confirm it then go to SQL at the bottom click browse search for the backup.gzip or w/e on your pc make sure autodetect is on and click Go or whatever it is and it should work.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
ok I figured out how to do it. if you backup from the cpanel it gives you a zip file called backup-3.25.2005_08-16-15_yourname.tar.gz if you clcik on that in file manager and extract all files it gives you a file with the same name. In that file is your entire forum right from the root up. All I did was erase my file that my screwed up forum was in an replaced it. I got it back and I`m up and running again. Have to test things out a bit first but I think it is working good. Another thing I did was I never logged out of my forum the whole time. I stayed in the admin control panel. For some reason I think this helps . I could be wrong. But anyways thanks everyone for the help. If I have any more problems I will be sure to post here. Thanks corey for all your help

EDIT : I did not have to touch mysql database at all. When I used easymod to install this it didn`t touch the db so I left it alone and just replaced the files. (thought I would add this)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.