How do you prefer to build a website?

Dazz

Reaction score
What do you use?

For example I currently use Wordpress for my site because it's just so easy lol, but if I need to edit a script or anything I use Notepad2 because thats really easy to use too.
However I can (sort of) code from scratch and build a web-site using only Notepad2 and Firefox (to preview) but Im too lazy to do it:biggrin:.

Do you use a CMS or blog application?, do you use a WYSIWYG editor? are you a pure coder and only use Notepad?

Post here and brag about it.

Last edited:

Jesse

Reaction score
If i am a coder, i'll prefer to make my own website template and code it. But i am not a good coder, so i will prefer to use a CMS.

pennies

Reaction score
I use WordPress, but only for the actual blog part of my site. For the more "static" part, I hardcode the pages, but maintain the WordPress theme.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
notepad for it all. well now i use notepad2, soo nice that i can see when ive forgotten to close my strings.

Charis Core

Reaction score
I use Frontpage or Joomla. Yeah, I know FP is not that great as far as code, I have heard from a lot of people that it adds a bunch of junk that you don't need. But, man is it easy to use!!

Dazz

Reaction score
LOL, some really good ones so far. 'Supermatthew' notepad2 is great isn't it, shameless plug go here to download it (its FREE, NO referal link, NO Spyware, No Malware, No Viruses).

'Charis Core' yeah I hear Frontpage adds a load of Junk code to your webpages aswell, only ever used it to create scrolling email signatures when I first started in IT/IS all those years ago LOL

And finally 'Jesse' why not try Dreamweaver or Coffeecup where you can get split screen, code and WYSIWYG editor to help you learn? I started with DW4 and taught myself from watching the code :biggrin:

Last edited:

Hazirak

Reaction score
Dreamweaver, lets me hardcode it and then watch it explode all over the place in the preview window. Can't say I'm a fan of CS3 though, just because I prefer for programs to not suck up an entire core on my CPU.

Slothie

Reaction score
I still use DW to do the rough layout for my sites before tweaking it in ultraedit.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine's handcoded.

And yes, it sucks. Bad. Like, really bad. I'm not positive there is a string of words strong enough to really convey just how bad it is. No really, I can't think of one.

I really need to start CMS shopping -_-'

Last edited:

Penguin129

Reaction score
Pure gedit while I'm on Linux and notepad on Windows. Nice and clean code. :D If you handcode something, you'll know exactly where everything is instead of running up and down the code of a premade cms.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
anyone every try to write an html page in a hex editor? confsuing is what that is

lol

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
I used to do all my websites in HTML with notepad, then worked a little bit with photoshop and I also worked a little with dreamweaver. It's been a while since I last made a website so I should try something else for the next one... probably a program and some coding.

Dan

Reaction score
I do it in notepad - HTML & CSS. I prefer using something like Dreamweaver though but I just can't be bothered to get it!!!

scummerz

Reaction score
I make it with frount page then tweak it with UE32, i sometimes copy the sorce code from another website (mine or other) and change it, u should see my slashdot menus and marquee from here and i got stuff from wufoo.com and everywhere

divinemscharity

Reaction score
Ok, right now, if the site is a blog or something that uses a lot of dated material, such as my friend's wrestling column, WordPress is my method of choice.

However, for the graphics site I'm planning on eventually opening, I'll be hand coding HTML/PHP in Notepad ++, which is my favorite editor for that kind of thing, hands down. I preview in Firefox & IE7 and I upload using FileZilla.

hypochondriac

Reaction score
I have 0 experience in coding. Made my first page yesterday. I used a WYSIWYG editor. I think it's called nuv. Are there any other good programs for people who can't code