How does one build a search engine?

goodone

Reaction score
If I wanted to start my very own search engine, where do I need to start? How much money would I need to start my own search engine? Other than money what else do I need? Like equipments, servers and the works.

What type of search engine would be the best to start? Pay Per Click search engines or just a free search engine like yahoo or google? When first starting out would I need employees? If any how many at first?

If there is anyone here who understands these things please give me a good Idea on this OK?

What does it take to build a good search engine? If you wanted to build a search engine where would you first start? Is there any script out there that I can start off with? Is there any free scripts anywhere that I can use for now until I can buy one or pay someone to write one for me?

Come on guys please let me know what are your thoughts on this?

Chris Z

Reaction score
I think you should learn how to code and make one yourself! :-D

Slothie

Reaction score
At the very least, you would need a spider to crawl the web for you recording links and content. You'd need a fairly large database to store all that as well.

shaunak

Reaction score
exactly....
No one starts on a supercomp.

First i believe you will need a server, and a decent one too. With atleast half a terabyte of disk space to hold your index. then you would need a VERY fast connection.

For staff you will need a programerfor the code and probably one tester.

A fair word of warning: the search industry is synonymus with the big GOOGLE. Even major players like yahoo get only fractional chunks of the market.

alfred

Reaction score
You can make a niche market search. But most new search engines are just being used for their seo value now.

lionheart8

Reaction score
There a number of search engine scripts around that you can use, free and commercial. Since the market is quite crowded with some very big boys like Google around, i would think it would be best to get a niche market, like a regional or country search Engine.
If you however want to really code one yourself, good luck to u as u learn from tutorials & other sources. May be at the end, you might come up with some new technologies that make u different from the current players and make u attractive all the same.