How much does it cost to host a site with XX Visitors?

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I am doing some research on the matter of how much it costs in terms of hosting and making sure the site is up 24/7 without lag or anything else to that extent.

Let's say I had 10,000 visitors to my site the first month, each viewing no less than 40 (would say 30 page views each average but I want to be safe) pages when they log in. It's a site that runs as a payment processor for bills.

So that is 10,000 members who are going to pay at least 5 bills on the site every month.

Now the next month, there's another 7k visitors monthly alongside the original 10k. All in all there are no more than 105,000 visitors on the site by the end of the year, with each next month having the previous amount of visitors as well as an increase of no less than 7,000 visitors.

That would be the first year.

I am not sure about page sizes at the current time. Anyone able to help with my lack of knowledge with the subject?

The next year would have an additional 170,000 visitors on the site monthly.
The year after would have an additional 340,000 on the site monthly
The fourth year would have an additional 495,000 visitors a month
The fifth year would have an additional 800,000 visitors a month.

Total 1st year visitors times 12 months set at 1.2million visitors for the year with 170k visitors on the site monthly.
Total 2nd year visitors including previous years is at 3,300,000 visitors a month.
The 3rd year visitors including previous years is at 7,344,000 visitors a month.
4th year including previous years is at 13,284,000 visitors a month.
5th year including previous years is at 22,344,000 visitors a month.

I am trying to figure out:

Hosting Fees.
SSL Certificates
Domains a year (guessing 10$ a year so that's not even something to include in a business proposal).
Bandwidth fees...I need to have the site not lag...ever.
Maintenance by the hosting company for the servers.
Backup's at least every 6 hours ( or how ever many backups is necessary for a payment processing site).

I need to get an estimate for

Year 1.
Year 2.
Year 3.

Those are the years the investors want a complete sales and expense projection. I have covered all other business related aspects EXCEPT for the above.

--------
I do not presume a normal hosting company can offer what I am looking for, but if they do, then even better.

If you can help, please be as accurate as you can, think of the size of the pages of the paypal checkout page, and internal-logged in pages, or the size of the pages that you view when you are logged into your online banking account, or paying a credit card bill through your bank or credit card companies site. I understand keeping the site as simple as possible is the way to go with this especially with the intake of such a large number of visitors.

---------

If you can recommend an organization or data-center that is U.S Based feel free to do so.

---------

I need to hand in the financials and proposals with all documents by tomorrow noon...that is 16 hours from now... 10 and a half of which I am going to spend sleeping...

---------

If I can get someone from the x10hosting organization to reply, PERFECT. If I can get anyone else to reply with information...please do so.

-----------------------

Please do not criticize my lack of knowledge on this topic, I know I don't know enough to host a site and create one but then that's not something I have much experience with, other than that to which is in regards to my less than 50 visitors a day or week, or month sites heh.

Thank you for your time and consideration into helping with my topic and questions, outlined in RED.

From John Klyne.

Need the prices/expenses by 12 noon, tomorrow... GMT -5...Eastern Central Time, the 10th of September, 2011.

Last edited: