How to protect picture from downloading from your site???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goran

Reaction score
How to protect picture from downloading at my site when someone what to save to picture!
Like picture from my first index page www.crash.exofire.net when tray to download it that option is not posible or blocked by copiright!?
Somthing like that. And thak for any further help!

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Search the net for a way to disable right click. THis should help but be aware that firfox browser makes plugins that people can get around this.

Goran

Reaction score
Hmm thx. i search some other way to protect it! prohaps to put picture in flash or somthing like that

Goran

Reaction score
Yeap i put picture in flash and it that way there is no right click! But u must find a protection for downloading a flash from site!

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
Lol =P while the browser has to download the content, you can never protect it. If a page has a flash animation or whatever in it go look in c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temporary internet files\ -- right click > arrange by time modified and look for the time you just browsed the page. You will find lots of Flash files and images that the browser cached (IE only, i dunno where ff stores its stuff)

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
hmm in ff you can just go to the menu... tools > page info > media (tab) then download any type of file thats embeded or displayed on the site.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
SOme one can also print screen and take it.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
i think thers a leech thing in the cpanel well tahts what i think i forgot

IIN Operator

Reaction score
Don't ever use that right click blocking script. It's very easy for anybody to get around. You only have to uncheck the "Disable or Replace Content Menus" box in Firefox's Javascript settings. The anti-leeching stuff actually blocks people who block the referring site. A program that causes that problem is installed automatically with certain antivirus programs. Doing stuff like that to protect your images will turn people away from your website, so don't do it.

Honestly, anybody who steals another web site's images is going to actually hurt themselves doing so. You need original content to attract people to your website. If you copy from somebody else, you'd better do it better or everybody will just go there. That's why many businesses resist making improvements to their products that are similar to innovations from the competition. If you try to copy them, you firmly establish them in a leadership position. That's how New Coke failed, despite tasting much better than Coca-Cola or Pepsi. New Coke was actually Diet Coke with sugar and Diet Coke is very different from Coca-Cola. Of course, New Coke tasted more like Pepsi, which was part of the reason why it ended up a disaster. Pepsi advertised that it tasted like Pepsi and took the lead.

Don't worry about competition. If they're copying from you, they'll fall by the wayside. Besides, if they're succeeding, that means you'll probably see an increase in popularity, so you should want your competitors to succeed. Focus your time on making your site better any way that you can and remember that you need to do everything for your user, not the other way around.

swirly

Reaction score
host it somewhere else till your bandwidth runs out there than have it on your site?

Cubeform

Reaction score
IIN Operator said:
You only have to uncheck the "Disable or Replace Content Menus" box in Firefox's Javascript settings.

Disabling this wasn't a problem until recently, when more websites (most notably Windows Live Mail) would use custom right-click menus.

Back on topic:

Those scripts are absolutely useless. The last page I went to with a right-click "blocker" script (a school website) didn't even work; the context menu showed right through.

Also, if you want to make ANY sort of business website, putting a script like that immediately labels you an "amateur".

You can protect other websites from hotlinking into your images using a .htaccess script, but that's not what you want.

Your idea of wrapping an image in Flash is like a weak door lock; good enough to stop anybody that's not trying to get in, but not enough for someone determined. Someone without Flash can't view your images either!

So, don't try to block anybody from downloading images. If you become popular and the competitors use your images, people will notice.

Last edited:

Goran

Reaction score
He he funy! I don't put a block right klick, i yust put a flash picture and i will put a copyright on it! I yust want to stop some noob's for downloding some picture and teling that are thy work! I remove oll 3d from site becouse of it and now i gona edited whole from botom!

Enyway thx

kunals.com

Banned
Reaction score
By disabling the right click the picture can not be stopped for Download.
If u save a page then the pictures and other things can be easily downloaded.

Reclutador

Reaction score
One fast way is that create a Table in Dreamweaver, and set the background image your image. Then you can avoid right clicks anyway ^^ [An example, try copy my header image at http://www.dr3team.com ]

but if the user saves the page, he can take the picture. Anyway, when you visit one site, the image is downloaded in Internet temporary files....

deadimp

Reaction score
Listen to the many suggestions here: There's no way to actually stop someone from downloading your picture, unless you simply don't publish it at all.
Hindering the user by being over-protective of your content does not make a good impression on many visitors.

Also, look into Creative Commons.

Last edited:

Zenax

Reaction score
@ Reclutador: There is a another way around that. In FF you can simply right click the table and click view background image. Then you can simply download that way.

Again as other people have been saying it is kind of hard to stop people from downloading images as they get put into a temp cache.

One ofMany

Reaction score
IF - you show it in anyway - THEN - they have it.
Copying is a form of flattery.
You can copyright it - and that's fine.
If people want to distribute for free my content - that's fine - I have no qualms - (shee-it: I've probably done that. I would like to think that I have acted positive wrt humanity).
If people want to make money from my content - that's different ...

dyfuse

Reaction score
Like everyone else has suggested, there is no way to prevent another person from downloading the file - unless you don't upload it to the internet anyway.

Alternatively, you could also block other people from hotlinking to your site (prevents other websites from directly linking to files). This can be done through cPanel > HotLink Protection - it also provides an explanation there.

Nevertheless, here's a Disable right mouse click script from Dynamic Drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm). Just if you're interested ;)

Code:
<script language=JavaScript>
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Function Disabled!";

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// --> 
</script>

mattura

Reaction score
Agree with IIN's first paragraph - disabling right click only makes people annoyed and it's easy to get around.
Basically, you will never be able to safeguard content, just make it difficult/awkward for people to steal perhaps by the following methods:
-placing a copyright digital watermark on the image (google this),
-placing a visible copyright notice over it (not in the corner, or people will just crop the image), in your example link, your logo is enough!
-disabling hotlinking (so sites don't steal your bandwidth as well as your images)
-splitting the image into, say 50 separate images (strips), so the thief would have to bother downloading them all and putting them together (don't number them sequentially, bulk downloaders would pick this up)
-have the image at low resolution, only allowing access to the high res version if users give their email address (but one person could download it, then put it on the web for all to download...you need a strict prosecution notice in the email)

multimap used to put a transparent GIF over their maps so that people didn't save the copyrighted map images. You'd have to examine the (often messy) source to find the right images.

jojo07

Reaction score
i don't think you can protect your pictures by just putting a no right click code because your pics can still easily stolen like dragging your pics in the address bar or pressing print screen in the keyboard....

well the best thing to do is:

1. Edit your pictures/images and insert copyright like putting a watermark.
2. the second is convert your images into flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.