I might be buying a server soon... Need info!

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Well i have been wanting to have a server of my own for ages now, i've got my eye on this one
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=608079&category_oid=

Its a HP server 500gb - all i wanted to know though are some things...

What version of linux is best for servers (what does x10 use?)
How do i get a DNS (where can i find it)
Do i need a licence?
Configuring and setting up?
And finally, is a 20mbit connection (virgin media) fast enough?

Oh yeah, how do i secure it?

Sorry for being a bit ambicious but i need to know these things
Edit:
Dont worry - i checked out videos and found recommendations

Last edited:

Nathan H

Reaction score
Wow so many Questions, Let's take them one by one

What version of linux is best for servers (what does x10 use?)
It depends on the person, some people find Fedora is nice for a server because the GUI is ok. Other people like CentOS because of its HostInABox distribution (runs a LAMP server in under 15MB of RAM)

How do i get a DNS (where can i find it)
there are loads of DNS servers available a quick google can show a loads of options. Ie FreeDNS or Bind (What i use)

Do i need a licence?
Depends, some software, such as cPanel need a liscence, but you can run a server without needing any liscence needing software

Configuring and setting up?
Alot of things come with automatic setup scripts now, and the internet has a vast array for anything else

It's not your downloading capability that makes the most difference, but your uploading ability. No offense but your server wouldnt be able to handle much traffic because your on Virgin Media. There upload speeds are abysmal

Oh yeah, how do i secure it?
There are loads of different ways, but the easiest way is having a router/firewall that only lets through the required ports

If your Serious about having a server, try one of X10Hostings VPS services, youll get a 10mBit upstream and a nice stable server, and you can grasp the basics from there.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
It's not your downloading capability that makes the most difference, but your uploading ability. No offense but your server wouldnt be able to handle much traffic because your on Virgin Media. There upload speeds are abysmal

Too true, i get a tops of 800kbsp if im lucky.

Actually, looking at the x10 paid plans - theyre not half bad, it depends - is the paid plans just like the free, set up and ready to go?
Oh and are they more stable than stoli - or is it run on stoli? :(

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
800kbps is very little, that's around 98KB/s of sustained download, and because you're on a cable system you're most likely not going to get that 24/7 as well. If you do want to host a home server, get yourself business class connections and fiber optic internet that is symmetical 10Mbps or greater from a Tier 1 backbone provider like Cogent. Otherwise, stick to hosting companies like x10. I ran a home server off of 768kbps DSL before, and it ran pretty nice until I started uploading a lot, causing my site to slow down. Now I have 1.5Mbps on DSL upstream, but even that will still choke if I use it enough.

The paid plans are just like the free hosting. You pay up, the account is made, and you're set to do what you want. And the paid accounts are hosted on another server with very few people on it, so it's much faster and a lot more stable.

Last edited:

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Cool thanks - i might look into purchasing one at about xmas time.

Edit:
Sorry for the offtopicness but Nathan H's sig is really usefull - stolis been down for an age.

Last edited:

Nathan H

Reaction score
No problem, (That signature image only shows HTTP status) As has been said paid plans are hosted on a completely seperate server to all free accounts, these are much faster higher specification and have fewer users on them. Another advantage of paid hosting is priority support, all your questions get answered ahead of everyone else.

razored

Reaction score
There is actually no need to buy that HP server. If you by a slightest chance have an unoccupied computer, install a distribution of Linux on it, setup required software, and execute the server; it is actually not as intricate or time-consuming as most people would presume.

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
There is actually no need to buy that HP server. If you by a slightest chance have an unoccupied computer, install a distribution of Linux on it, setup required software, and execute the server; it is actually not as intricate or time-consuming as most people would presume.

Not exactly. It needs to be a decent computer, and you still need a good internet line if you want to really use it for server needs.

Also, having a motherboard/processor made for server use is better than using one used for normal computers.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For processors, try to stick with the Xeons if you can, and get at least a dual core CPU. Quad core better should the site get busy. Also, a lot of RAM and a 100Mbit line would help as well. Might be a bit on the expensive side with the 100Mbit line and the quad core Xeon CPU, but it will perform good.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
It also depends what kind of server. I've hosted small websites, a UT2004 server and a TeamSpeak server on a low-end Pentium 4 box (at the same time) with a 2Mb/s upload rate, and (surprisingly) everything ran smoothly without a hitch or lag.

Last edited: