inFAMOUS

jonmoseley8

Reaction score
So who has got this game?

I preordered the Special Edition version on Game.co.uk and I must say it is one of the better games I have played in Recent Times. Technically it is not that impressive (no Anti-Aliasing, Basic Character Models etc) but it is fun to play (except for some missions that can in fustrating). I have completed the game once in Evil Karma and I am going to complete it again in Good Karma. :)

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's alright. I played about 75% of the story and I really have no incentive to pick it up again. I think one of the biggest problems is that I hated how toned down the game was. Being evil didn't feel evil, it felt more like being annoying. I know that the game is rated Teen to get a wider audience but I felt that this game could have benefited if it had a more mature take.

And yeah, the graphics were mediocre as well. Some parts looked pretty but they were always brought down by the ridiculous amount of jaggies (which I find a lot of PS3 games to have).

Some of the things I did like about the game were the powers, even though a lot of them were worthless. The overall story was pretty good too except I really didn't like Cole.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
And yeah, the graphics were mediocre as well. Some parts looked pretty but they were always brought down by the ridiculous amount of jaggies (which I find a lot of PS3 games to have).

Those jaggies are how you keep your framerates on any game console, including the PS3. If you want Anti-aliasing, go with a PC with some high end specs. The "current generation" game consoles can do 2x and 4x anti-aliasing on fast pased/shooter games given optimization is there, but try throwing 8x or higher on there, you're going to need some serious optimization or a low poly count with low memory usage to get anywhere near decent framerates.

As an example, just take a look at Crytek's CryEngine 3 on the PS3/Xbox 360. Those are running with no anti-aliasing as shown by the jaggies, and you can notice at some parts where the framerate on the 360 will drop. The PS3 if you also do notice uses basically the same levels of graphics as the PS3 in the video, however given the PS3's faster hardware, Crytek was able to bump up the draw "view" distance in their engine. The PS3 did have a moment or two in the video where it would show some frame loss/drop.

Direct Link: http://www.crytek.com/fileadmin/user_upload/videos/CryENGINE3_GDC_demo_video.mpg
In case of anti-hotlink: Download GDC 2009 video on the page. http://www.crytek.com/downloads/technology/

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Those jaggies are how you keep your framerates on any game console, including the PS3.

Really the problem is specific to the PS3. The 360 has built in hardware that allows 2x-4x AA with very little performance loss. The Ps3 lacks such hardware and resorts to using little or no anti aliasing (the AA technique is called quincunx). Another downside to PS3's AA is that it causes blurring with textures.

If you want Anti-aliasing, go with a PC with some high end specs. The "current generation" game consoles can do 2x and 4x anti-aliasing on fast pased/shooter games given optimization is there, but try throwing 8x or higher on there, you're going to need some serious optimization or a low poly count with low memory usage to get anywhere near decent framerates.

I want my PS3 to look as good if not better than my 360 for the price I paid. The PC is irrelevant.

As an example, just take a look at Crytek's CryEngine 3 on the PS3/Xbox 360. Those are running with no anti-aliasing as shown by the jaggies, and you can notice at some parts where the framerate on the 360 will drop. The PS3 if you also do notice uses basically the same levels of graphics as the PS3 in the video, however given the PS3's faster hardware, Crytek was able to bump up the draw "view" distance in their engine. The PS3 did have a moment or two in the video where it would show some frame loss/drop.

Direct Link: http://www.crytek.com/fileadmin/user_upload/videos/CryENGINE3_GDC_demo_video.mpg
In case of anti-hotlink: Download GDC 2009 video on the page. http://www.crytek.com/downloads/technology/

Tech demos are nice and everything but I like real world performance. Neither console looks good in that video anyway.

Last edited:

iglitter

Reaction score
my boyfriend has this for his ps3 and has completed it. he's now playing [prototype] which he loves very much

ryku650

Reaction score
inFamous is a pretty awesome game. I love the powers you get.

The missions are all the same though. It's storyline is almost random.

Debci

Reaction score
in famous its a good, no good, execellent game, bestial graphicals, execellent play... its perfect!!

ravenze

Reaction score
It's a good game. I'm like 2/3's-3/4 through it. I'm digging the story, but the story isn't really told in the game, most of it is in these optional cell drops. I thought that was kinda dumb on the designer's end.
I'm not really into how you have to play the game twice to get all the trophies.

All in all though, it's certainly worth a rent, but since there's no multiplayer or DLC it'd be hard to justify buying the game.

jonmoseley8

Reaction score
my boyfriend has this for his ps3 and has completed it. he's now playing [prototype] which he loves very much
I've Been looking at Prototype as well, and I really look the game.

It's alright. I played about 75% of the story and I really have no incentive to pick it up again. I think one of the biggest problems is that I hated how toned down the game was. Being evil didn't feel evil, it felt more like being annoying. I know that the game is rated Teen to get a wider audience but I felt that this game could have benefited if it had a more mature take.
Yeah, Yahtzee picked this up in his review of it, and that Karma Based games should dissapear completely because they only force you to play it twice.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've beat Prototype. I thought it was one of the better sandbox games I played.

sathanna

Prime Account
Reaction score
My boyfriend's really wanting to play that. He's hoping that it'll be better than Prototype, because although he had fun running around randomly every time he started the story up again he got really annoyed at it. I don't think it's balanced too well.

jonmoseley8

Reaction score
My boyfriend's really wanting to play that. He's hoping that it'll be better than Prototype, because although he had fun running around randomly every time he started the story up again he got really annoyed at it. I don't think it's balanced too well.
Well I ordered Prototype the other day (along with Dirt 2), and I was playing it and I got annoyed with it as well. inFamous has a better difficulty level and balancing than Prototype but you can do a lot more in Prototype like drive tanks. :)

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well I ordered Prototype the other day (along with Dirt 2), and I was playing it and I got annoyed with it as well. inFamous has a better difficulty level and balancing than Prototype but you can do a lot more in Prototype like drive tanks. :)

By better difficulty you mean it's easier.