Installing/Using a Web Template / FTP

ƒorte

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

I need some help regarding web templates. I know virtually nothing about them, and I can't find any tutorials on the subject. Here are a few questions I have:

CSS
Let's say I wanted to use this template from zymic.com:

http://zymic.com/template_preview.php?id=121&cat_id=1

If I have all the neccessary files uploaded to my ftp folder, what should I enter into my site for the template to show up? Something regarding CSS?

Oh, and I'm starting to understand FTP but I need an actual program to use ftp, correct?
Do you have any suggestions?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
upload all the files to your "www" folder for the template. Images,css, and there should be an index file to. Point your browser to it and it should work. As for ftp clients, cute ftp is good.

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Hey, I used to use that template for my site :p

Just a bit of info, the login form things are basically useless. Also all the images are names free_video_room_chat%%.jpg and all that.

If you have photoshop, then you should be able to edit the *.psd file alright.

Yeah, I would suggest SmartFTP, its free and very easy to use (well sort of).

To make more pages from the index page, and easy way to do this is to (once completed the index page - or atleast the navigation) copy and paste and then rename.

This way you do not have to redo all the navigation and all that for the other pages.

Equiflux

Reaction score
I'm not gonna say much, except that, a CSS is not required to actually upload a site and have it run/viewed.

a CSS is actually just a set of rules that defines which elements in a web page should look like what.

Last edited:

ƒorte

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been learning FTP for the last few hours and I know most things now.

One more question though: I uploaded the template folder and all its fixings into the www folder, so what should I do for an index page using the template? Is there a code I'm overlooking?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
What is all in the template folder. ?? a .css file and image folder and a html file ???

ƒorte

Reaction score
there's an index.html, a file called "template" (looks like this: <?php ob_start() ?> ...etc), a file called "version", and an "editor_files" folder. Within the ef folder, there are multiple files including another index.html and 2 CSS Files... I think that's it.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Point your browser to the index.html file. Provide a link here if you can so we can check it out if there is a problem.

ƒorte

Reaction score
pointing?? The file is empty.. There's nothing in there! no tags, no nothing. What do I need to put into it?