Is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 safe even though Microsoft no longer provides support, updates?

jfrancis79

Prime Account
Reaction score
Is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 safe even though Microsoft no longer provides support, updates if no one really surfs the internet, downloads anything from the internet excerpt from reputable websites like microsoft.com? I’m basically using Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for internal use only.

caftpx10

Reaction score
If the server isn't accessible to the outside world (any port being forwarded from your server) then it should be a lot safer. You should note that people who have access to it on your network can possibly exploit it, so be careful.

As you have internet access, there is still many dangers out there that you'll need to keep an eye out for. Tricks can also come up no matter how careful you are (CNET download is an example) so try not to fall into them.

Personally, I would upgrade for more features and a lot more security, especially if you're wanting it to be used as a web server.

I think it's best to get a second opinion in regards to this as I haven't really looked into Windows Server 2003.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to add that by "reputable websites" including microsoft.com, you aren't at risk, unless said website utilizes a third party advertising company or gets hacked/DNS modified. Not every individual hosting ads with sites like DoubleClick are legitimate; they may seed a malicious flash ad for instance, which then gets displayed on a reputable website and hits all their viewers.

That said, I would think it's safe if you take the usual precautions - antivirus, not browsing unusual sites, firewall, etc, but naked WinServ 2003 is probably a bad idea, as is a naked -any- Microsoft OS really.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
You're not going to suddenly find yourself with a remotely controlled server. Truth be told, I've always wondered if reputable antivirus/behaviour analysis tools would pick up on and block most exploitable things fixed by the updates anyway.