Joomla template design

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Can I get help on making Joomla templates?
I have certain free templates which I think donot possess required module positions.
I wanted to add a few module positions and can any one help
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
VVBB

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Search the templates(.php and .css in /templates/template-name/) which have the required module positions and then compare it with the templates which don't have them.

Compare and learn.

Migrated to Joomla 1.6 ?

dzvonko47

Reaction score
Search the templates(.php and .css in /templates/template-name/) which have the required module positions and then compare it with the templates which don't have them.

Compare and learn.

Migrated to Joomla 1.6 ?

No, I have not migrated yet. How to do that without any risks about my site (must be up and runing)?

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Compare and learn.

Migrated to Joomla 1.6 ?

No, I have not migrated yet. How to do that without any risks about my site (must be up and runing)?
I have joomla 1.5.20 on linux server with softaculous on cpanel. TIA
www.sandomasev.edu.mk

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@dzvonko47
I have joomla 1.5.20 on linux server with softaculous on cpanel. TIA

------------
Pretty easy!

To start with,last I checked(partially/Early March), Softaculous didn't have Joomla 1.6 support in it then.

There are as always two ways - easy/automatic/noob and hard/manual/geek

Easy way:
1. Download/Install jupgrade on your joomla 1.5.*.(Should work on 1.5.20 too, but the "advised" requirement was joomla 1.5.22)
2. Enable 'System - Mootools Upgrade' plugin in Extensions >> Plugin Manager.
3. Go to components >> jupgrade and start the process.
It will automatically download, joomla 1.6.*.(Whether it will download 1.6.0 or 1.6.1, I'm not sure as I already had these two files on my home server and had tweaked the some files here and there to do it locally.)
It may take some time to complete(downloading,extracting,database copying/migration).
When done, you will be shown two links for joomla 1.6 - site and administrator.(Bookmark them if you have hard time remembering urls)
Bingo you are done !

Pros - You will get lotsa time for a nice cup of tea!
Can't get any easier !
Both of them(1.5 and 1.6) will be working simultaneously.
Ideally, for lazy webmasters(count me too).
Easiest way for migrating really really large website(lots of articles)
Practically, there is no downtime !(Of course that depends on time taken for completion of the migration process).

Cons - joomla 1.6 is installed inside joomla 1.5 directory, so when you are done testing you have to move it up "one-directory", edit relevant locations(tmp and log) in configuration.php of joomla 1.6, remove old joomla 1.5 files/directory and also delete(if you want) all "jos_" tables of old joomla 1.5 from the database.

Unfortunately, unlike in real life, bigger the better isn't applicable here.
Increased size of database will obviously slow down your website a bit.(Though not necessarily).

Don't let upgrade in 'jupgrade' fool you, IT IS NOT UPGRADE - IT IS MIGRATION.

Hard Way:
(My Way - Making things harder and more miserable than they already are)

Ah, we will talk about this "hard way" later!

On joomla 1.6 vs joomla 1.5:

Main reason that I did it, was because as I already had stated - I'm lazy.

I couldn't take the "section>>category>>article" and "no save and new" any more.

Otherwise, they are almost same.
Though, joomla 1.6 has (better?) ACL and url redirection natively.

Take all these factors before doing the migration.

Also, remember that within 5 months or so, there will be joomla 1.7.

So, do some serious thinking before taking any step in haste.

Peace Out Homie!

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Suppose if I have components made for joomla 1.5 and If I use Jupgrade,
there is a finite chance that I loose all of them.
Your idea is quite helpful but the components like mailers,newsletter and some article display modules may not function in joomla 1.6.
What to do now?

Regards,
VVBB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@MaestroFX1

Pretty easy!

To start with,last I checked(partially/Early March), Softaculous didn't have Joomla 1.6 support in it then.

Easy way:
1. Download/Install jupgrade on your joomla 1.5.*.(Should work on 1.5.20 too, but the "advised" requirement was joomla 1.5.22)
It will automatically download, joomla 1.6.*.(Whether it will download 1.6.0 or 1.6.1, I'm not sure as I already had these two files on my home server and had tweaked the some files here and there to do it locally.)
It may take some time to complete(downloading,extracting,database copying/migration).
When done, you will be shown two links for joomla 1.6 - site and administrator.(Bookmark them if you have hard time remembering urls)
Bingo you are done !

Can't get any easier !
Practically, there is no downtime !(Of course that depends on time taken for completion of the migration process).

Cons - joomla 1.6 is installed inside joomla 1.5 directory, so when you are done testing you have to move it up "one-directory", edit relevant locations(tmp and log) in configuration.php of joomla 1.6, remove old joomla 1.5 files/directory and also delete(if you want) all "jos_" tables of old joomla 1.5 from the database.

Increased size of database will obviously slow down your website a bit.(Though not necessarily).

Hard Way:

I couldn't take the "section>>category>>article" and "no save and new" any more.

Peace Out Homie!

Last edited:

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@vv.bbcc19
Suppose if I have components made for joomla 1.5 and If I use Jupgrade,
there is a finite chance that I loose all of them.
Your idea is quite helpful but the components like mailers,newsletter and some article display modules may not function in joomla 1.6.
What to do now?

Regards,
VVBB
============================
chance ? Count that as a surety !
Unless ofcourse the modules/components that you have created are really generic.
And that is why it is migration NOT upgrade.

Coming back to "generic" comment;
If your modules/components are highly customized for only joomla 1.5, it just won't work.
(Many Joomla app writers are facing the same trouble.)

For Mailers/newsletter - (if not highly customized)this should be easy!

some article display modules - like what ? Did you mean positions ? That can be accomplished easily too.

Write back en-detailing your requirements for better reply.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@MaestroFX1

Pretty easy!

Easy way:
Bingo you are done !

Can't get any easier !

Hard Way:

Peace Out Homie![/QUOTE]