laptop got moisture in rain

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Last night, it was raining heavily. I was out of my home for some reason. I waited for rain to stop but it didn't stop. And as i was getting late, i walked in rain. I trusted on my laptop bag. I thought it's 100% waterproof. But it was not. laptop got some moisture. I made a mistake, i didn't remove the laptop from bag for the whole night and now at evening (next day) when i took out my laptop and turned it on, it started to beep. I pressed few keys and then it started normally. But i think my laptop is not functioning normally. When i press left "ctrl" key, it changes the tab of my browser. Could you recommend me some trick to fix this issue.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
i would pull the battery and allow it to sit for a few days for all the water to escape. I know I got a normal keyboard wet a little once and it would not function correctly until it was completely dry which involved popping it apart and using toilet paper to soak up any remaining water between the plastic layers and letting it dry for a day.
Now a laptops different from a desktop keyboard but letting it completely dry might resolve a few issues.
In addition, if you have a fan, set it up to blow air against the bottom or into the vent holes on the side to help speed up the drying. Maybe even on-top into the keyboard.

AS for the future, there are a couple things you can do. I don't know where you live but here you can pick up a can of scotchguard for a few bucks. Even cheaper would be some generic shoe waterproof sprays which would work just as well. Cheapest would be to keep a 2 foot long piece of plastic wrap in your bag, then when you anticipate water, simply wrap your laptop in it as well as you can. It should keep out most of the moisture. assuming the bag doesn't go underwater.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Had a similar issue the other week with the rain and a backpack that wasn't water proof. You'd really think something sold in Washington would be built ti handle rain, but noooo.. Anyway, the laptop was fine, but the art I'd been bringing with to work on got completely ruined :(

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
If all else fails, laptop keyboards are pretty easily replaceable. There's usually a plastic bezel right between the screen and the keyboard. It will pop off with a very small screwdriver, revealing a few screws on the metal plate which is the underside of the keyboard.. Remove the screws and tip the keyboard back. There's a flat cable going into a connector on the motherboard that has a plastic tab holding the cable in place. Push the tab back and pull the cable out; the keyboard should be free.

My new laptop, unfortunately, does not have this design. If yours is like this, you'll either have to disassemble the entire laptop base or have it professionally serviced. It's not particularly dangerous (to you or your laptop) or difficult work, there are a lot of step-by-step instructions (with pictures sometimes) for nearly every laptop out there and it will save a lot of money if you do it yourself.

Also, if you break your laptop, then you can more easily convince yourself/others to replace it (and who doesn't want a new laptop?) :p

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
one interesting thing. today i found that the problem is resolved. i didn't do anything, still it got fixed. wow.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Likely due to water that dried off then :p

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from this experience!!

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from this experience!!

learned a great lesson. After few hours my ctrl key started working normally, my keyboards "B" "N", "space bar" "/" and up, down, left, right key stopped working. Now its "must" to change the keyboard.