Laptop Help

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
I am getting a laptop soon, and I was wondering which brands were good. I have a budget of under 900 but around 700-800 is good w/ tax and shipping.

I know its a low budget, but my parents just bought a house and we are kinda in a tough money situation right now.

All I need to do on it is school work, no games or anything, but it needs to be good ram and graphics since I am gonna use it mostly for engineering, and I need to be able to run Inventor (3d CAD program) without any problems.(It takes up a lot of space)

I was checking out Sony VIAOs and they look pretty good. DDR3 memory too =] but I need a second opinion. Thanks.

(Please include links and your prior experiences w/ laptops)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, since you're running CAD programs and are getting a laptop, I'd say look for one priced in your price range with an nVidia GeForce 8 or higher series video card in it. It may not seem so school related, but nVidia, Adobe, and Autodesk have been working to use nVidia GPUs to accelerate programs such as Flash and the Autodesk software so that they run smoother.

Obviously, a dual core processor and plenty of RAM to spare. Hard drive, a fast SATA/SSD will do. Any brand will do. I'll look around if you need me to for something that will suit your needs.