Let's just confuzzle me up some more - TV and PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Goes here for sure cause I'm looking at the hardware itself.

Ok, minor bit of background. My pc has an AV out for a TV (you know, the yellow-white-red plugs; card's got the yellow for video, and I've got an audio splitter that takes a headphone jack and makes it red-white plugs, so that's covered). I've tried to use that AV out in the past.

Unless watching a video, the quality is absolute...Well, I can't come up with a string of bad words to quantify just how absolutely horrid it is.

Now heres what I'm trying to do: I'm actually pondering building an arcade-joystick setup similar to what you see in arcades. I wanted to build a shoebox pc and use that with an AV out to display it on any tv I plug it into.

Problem. AV looks like crap!

Really big problem cause I won't build the joystick unless I can fix that.

So, short of buying a TV with a different set of input plugs and a new video card with a different set of output plugs, is there any way to make the AV Out come in clearer, and not so damned fuzzy?

I'm guessing the problem is gunna be $$$, but for sake of argument, assume I'm Bill Gates, but I'd like to avoid paying anyone to design the part I need - the part needs to already exist and be purchasable by a consumer.

Dazz

Reaction score
Problem is that a TV (unless its a HDTV) can only display 500 lines of resolution whereas your computer monitor can display thousands. As a result the picture on your TV will look fuzzy and not quite right. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do about it and personally I wouldn't bother.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Problem is that a TV (unless its a HDTV) can only display 500 lines of resolution whereas your computer monitor can display thousands. As a result the picture on your TV will look fuzzy and not quite right. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do about it and personally I wouldn't bother.

Bugger.

Looks like I'm gunna end up building a desktop arcade with built in LCD screen (which also means I'm looking at like $1500 instead of maybe $750 >_<)

Thanks though; kinda figured I was screwed when Google wasn't helping. Worth a shot though right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.