Linux Users: Want a "virtual" HD?

dsfreak

Reaction score
Run Linux on GMail!

From the website:

* Make sure you have Python 2.3 installed. Most Linux distributions will have their own package for this (you'll also need the appropriate python2.3-dev packages).
* Install version 2.x of FUSE. Some Linux distributions (such as Debian) come with a package. If your distro doesn't, you can find the source at FUSE's SourceForge download page. Depending on your platform you may have to copy fusermount to /usr/bin for correct operation.
* Download the Python FUSE bindings. These are also available from FUSE's CVS repositorye. Untar fuse-python.tar.gz and follow the instructions in fuse-python/INSTALL.

Grab the CVS version of libgmail by following the instructions here. After checking out the file, copy libgmail.py and constants.py to somewhere Python can find them (/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/ works for Debian, others may vary).

Download gmailfs-0.4.tar.gz. After untarring, copy gmailfs.py to somewhere easily accessible (for example, /usr/local/bin/gmailfs.py). Copy mount.gmailfs to the /sbin directory.

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html << the site where this comes from ;-) This pwns, you can run files, so, it is basicaly a virtual HD, have fun ;-).... Points are gladly accepted

RockerTux

Reaction score
Nice tip, very useful for me (2 500GB HDD RAID-0, they're almost full) :D That's why GNU/Linux rox

ProjectB

Reaction score
hey i gotta ask a question about gmail, lateley the file i've been downloading from gmail have been incomplete and corrupt , is this happening to anyone else or is it the isp

dsfreak

Reaction score
Possibly the ISP. But it might be GMail instating something new? Who knows, I will check later.