Making Offline Apps?

websoul

Reaction score
Which is the best way to implement Offline WebApp.

Some of the requiremnts

1. Need to save used actions(DB is needed), which will sync with live when online

2. Have some content which needs to be secure..Only valid login can decode the content and view it. It also ned to be in sync with live..

vol7ron

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand your question. What do you mean by used actions? And by live, do you mean Microsoft Live, as in the mail client?

Any sort of connection can be done by the use of any computer. Usually you want to run it on a scheduler, such as Microsoft Scheduler, or Crontab. Obviously, you'll need a database. The good news is that even highend databases such as Oracle are free so long as you have one processor in your machine and don't use it for commercial use, but you could just as easily download PostgreSQL or MySQL.

So, using any programming language (Perl, C++, Visual Basic, et al) write the program and have the scheduler run it at such-and-such time, or at an interval.

sunils

Reaction score
By user action,he meant, any changes made to the offline copy need to be updated to the online copy when the internet is working. By live he meant online Database..

you can do that, but i dont know how. One of my friend was telling about that.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Well, if you want your visitors to be able to use the offline web app they will most likely need a database driver. Or you could store all the changed variables in text files, and then upload them once the user is back online. What I can't guess is why you would need to try to achieve something like this. IT would make it very easy to hack through editing of any off-line files

vol7ron

Reaction score
Ahh, offline->online. Much different from online->offline.

There are several methods you could use. You can still take advantage of the Scheduler/Crontab, or you could write a constantly running service/program of your own.

One method is to build into the app to just connect to the online version every time a change is made, another way would be to have a separate program update the online on demand.

Like Nathan, I'm still uncertain what you're trying to do. The odds are, to make it more secure, encrypt the data you are sending. Even more secure method would be to use VPN to maintain a more secure session.