MMORPG thread.

Touhou

Reaction score
Right to the point, I'm wanting to get back into MMORPG gaming. It's been 2 years since I stopped playing a private server of RO and made a lot of friends, so I'm not completely new to MMORPGs. FFXI and PSU both got ported to the 360, but I heard they're not really good, but if anybody recommends it, I'll give it a shot. (I've actually played FFXI, got a Red Mage to level 14 but got stuck not knowing where to go and have spent hours traveling, so I didn't go past the free month. I'll subscribe if I get friends to play.)

I'm probably going to end up buying Guild Wars because there's no monthly fee and one of my friends already plays it. Any suggestions on a good MMORPG to play?

t2t2t

Reaction score
I'm probably going to end up buying Guild Wars because there's no monthly fee and one of my friends already plays it. Any suggestions on a good MMORPG to play?
I believe you found out the answer yourself, MMORPG that one person enjoys might not be that good for another, look yourself from reviews, videos, screenshots, guide... to find what you like.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure you heard of World of Warcraft. Personally I stopped playing a year ago because I was addicted but It was worth the monthly payments. Right now it's probably the best MMORPG on the market. Hellgate: London looks promising though.

warlordste

Reaction score
try mu online or kal online or guild wars there loads out there u just need to know where to look ;)

nanat

Reaction score
You can look at this site http://www.mmorpg.com. They have a good list of mmorpg's and got reviews of them so you can read what others think of them before you play.

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
There are tons of MMORPGs out there and plenty of free MMORPGs. Rappelz is a really good one that I play right now. Good graphics, nice gameplay. I believe it is somewhat similar to Guild Wars, but there isn't a lvl 20 cap thing or anything like that. 9/10

Sword of the New World is probably the best free MMORPG i've ever seen or played though. Amazing graphics, a decent world size(nothing as expansive as WoW, but what is?). And I really feel it is like a mix between Baldur's Gate and WoW. If you have played the two games and enjoy them, give this game a try. There is a lack of customization in your characters(it doesn't suck really, but it could be better). But other than that the game is awesome. 10/10.

MU isn't bad, but with the two games I've listed above, it doesn't really compare. 6/10

Hellgate: London did look quite promising. I really wish I would have played the beta one last time before it went on the shelves but from what I gathered when I did play, it actually is quite a disappointment. Or it at least isn't all it was hyped up to be. It is still a great game and if you don't mind buying it, I'd say give it a shot. It definitely reminds me of Diablo(mainly the first one), but has an interesting 3-D MMORPG feel to it. But it also seems you can play with other players in the dungeon, unless they changed that... But still, a very nice game overall, for the most part. I must note on the extreme requirements. My computer with 1GB RAM, a nice nVidia graphics card with 512MB of memory and my AMD 3400+ processor seem to have trouble. I had to turn down the graphics to nearly the lowest settings to get smooth gameplay. It looks like you will need a dual-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a high end graphics card(so built-in intel cards and such will be of no use). If you have a nice gaming computer, then go for it. 8/10

And I'll have to add GUNZ: The Duel to the list. A very different style, and very fun. It is a fast paced MMORPG that lets you play like a FPS, only with experience and money to buy better stuff. You get nice features like wall running and such. You can even scale any wall simply by using your sword(stabing in to the wall, then throwing yourself up and repeating the process). The game may not have the best graphics in the world(compared to these other games, although the graphics do not suck), but it surely has the most fun gameplay. 9/10

Of course I have only touched the tip of the iceberg. I've been looking at and playing quite a few free MMORPGs and some that weren't free and these have just been some I really feel like I can comment on and recommend. Feel free to search out there yourself and see what you can find. Everyone likes different things.

tangbaba

Reaction score
Hmm... this is the first I have heard of Sword of the New World... I'm downloading it now (Eeech- 3.something GB). Looks pretty sweet- can't wait to get it started =)

Josh1billion

Reaction score
Pirates of the Carribbean Online came out on Halloween. But it's not very good.

Touhou

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the posts. I bought Guild Wars and it's great so far for my second day. Summoning monsters out of corpses and having them die to refill my magic later was never so fun, lol. I recommend it to anybody, really, well worth the $30 for no monthly fees. The expansion packs look promising too.

As for World of Warcraft, I have it, but like FFXI, didn't go past the free month. I'll play it again after trying FFXI again, because I now have a friend to play it with.

I'll also have to pick up Hellgate London, it looks awesome. I'll download it and try out the single player.

ethraax

Reaction score
Hellgate: London was promising, but it seems to be going downhill in my opinion.

First off, they totally ****ed with all the beta testers. They gave us a month old client (we thought it was new) and we all spent hours getting to work (poor quality, buggy). Then when the game came out they had some "gold" version that they didn't release for testers. It pretty much makes me absolutely hate Flagship Studios now.

Also, the gameplay seems to be headed in the hardcore region. This makes absolutely no sense - the game was promised to be a nice casual MMORPG to have fun, not to really compete. However, the lack of respecs, and other huge timesavers, makes me think that the game will be 95% grinding 5% fun. Too bad the devs couldn't break loose of the fact that it should not be Diablo III.

Anyway, WoW is great. I played for two years (got two 70s), and raided for the last year. It just became unfun when my server went dead (Aegwynn-US). Everyone started x-ferring off and soon there weren't enough left to make up a 25-man raid. There are two Horde raiding guilds there and they're both hardcore (you must donate your life to them), and most of those left in my guild left for one of the hardcore ones to continue raiding. We still all hang out in vent and play other games together, but WoW is dead for me.

It's definitely worth the fee though..

Oh, and Guild Wars is horrible. Utterly horrible. Don't waste your money, it's not worth the free subscription.

EDIT: Just read that you did... too bad for you. Oh well, enjoy the two months of enjoyment you might scrape from it.

Last edited:

robhol

Reaction score
I played Cabal for a short time.. but it was a bit buggy (crude collision checking, monsters using melee attacks 10m away AND killing you) and there weren't really any skills to practice apart from sword/magic and that's too thin. Also its impossible to switch servers, I found that out the hard way, I spent weeks playing a char, wanted to move it because the server was so laggy/crowded..
Won't recommend it unless you have the boredom center in your brain surgically removed.

Lurien

Reaction score
I post this insecurly seeing a post has been marked as spam when it was a rally nice answer, but either way:
Dpends on what you are looking for:
If you are looking for a really imature general audience: MuOnline would rock your socks, doubt this is the one.
If you enjoy strategical and paused PvP, I'd say Lineage 2
If yuo like cuteness, you've alredy played one of the best MMORPGs ever wich is RO.
For soething more roleplayable (or so I've been told, downlaoded but not yet tried) WoW.