My first wordpress theme

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's OK (the design). Some minor changes would make it a bit better.

Navigation menu
- font is too small
- it would look much more fluid without separators (black lines) between menu buttons

Overall layout
Layout should be a little bit wider. Wides screen monitors are becoming more and more popular and imagine your site on 1680x1050 res.

Fonts
I generally recommend people to have font-size bigger the 10px. I mean you have a blog. Blogs are meant to be read and if people have to struggle to do so (people wearing glasses for example) they won't bother coming back.

As I said, it's OK. It's simple, colors are OK (little bit boring but OK ... it's a tech blog, people don't expect it to be colorful :biggrin:), everything is in the right place ... almost :) It's not a big deal but can you put the search box in your navigation menu aligned to right. There's a lot of empty space in the nav menu, why not use it ;)

If you want it to look a bit better try adding some nice RSS icon in your reader. That a nice trick (along with typography) that many designer use to enhance simple blog designs. Here's some nice ones:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-rss-feed-icons-the-ultimate-list/
http://www.bloggingtips.com/2008/11/06/free-rss-icon-list/
http://www.problogdesign.com/resources/60-great-rss-icons-for-your-blog/

If you need more just google it ;) or you can always make your own.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The over all design looks good, it is one that suits the subject in my opinion, and in the end a design that fits the subject is always the best choice.

as for font size I guess it could be a little bigger as leviathon said, especially the navigation menu. However I have no problem at all reading the text, and I am one of those with glasses. I tend to have things in small print on my screen anyways so for me the size seem rather normal (my friends often ask weather i can actually read the stuff on my screen though)

A nice rss button enhances the design, and they are not all to difficult yo make up on your own if you are somewhat used to creating graphics.

I don't really agree with putting search up on nav menu though, unless you are absolutely certain you won't create any more pages to fit in there later on.

I do agree that the design could benefit from being a bit wider, it just seem a little bit squeezed together on my screen, although I don't have a really high res and hardly ever uses full screen in my browser. (my screen is set at 1280x1024, I'd estimate that the browser window normally is sized up to be around 1000 pixels in width)

hezuo

Reaction score
I think your wordpress is very cool, but you must definitely work on the footer.

hungrynez

Reaction score
nice blog. i am finding my way to install wordpress at x10hosting. i hope it would be as yours