MySQL - comma delimited fields?

fretwizz

Reaction score
I have a database where one of the columns is named "Address" and it contains addresses, unfortunately, they are complete addresses in one column (I know this is a mistake but it's what I have to work with). The various parts of the address in this column are separated by a comma... like so:

12345 Main St., Denver CO, 80202

I created a couple of new columns, one for the zip code and one for the city and I then copied the data from the existing address column into my new columns (it took a little bit of effort but nothing compared to going through the entire database and entering it manually). I suppose I can leave the address column the way it is now that I have the data in my new zip and city columns to refer to... but I'd like to learn a bit about MySQL's capabilities and thought this might be a good place to do that. I've been looking for a way to extract and copy based on the comma delimited concept but I can't seem to find it. I've run across things that look similar (that I have tried on a smaller, test database) but they haven't panned out. Any ideas on how this can be done or places I can research to solve this problem (if it's even possible)?

Thanks

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The place to look for MySQL's string manipulation capabilities is the string functions manual page. However, SQL isn't intended for string manipulation, hence MySQL's poor capabilities. A better solution would be to write a program in another language to perform the actual processing, perhaps using regular expressions.
Code:
/^\s*(\d+[^,]*\S)\s*,\s*(?:(?i)([^,]*(?:ste|apt|bldg|suite)[^,]*),(?i))?\s*([^,]+) ([A-Z]{2})\s*,\s*(\d{5}(?:-\d{4})?)\s*$/

Last edited: