Mysql help for phpBB mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan C

Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to install a mod on my forum that autoposts when a rss feed updates. This requires mySql databases, and I'm having a little trouble configuring it.

Heres the only config instructions the author gives: - all configuration for feeds of lastRSS autoposting bot is in database table
phpbb_lastrss_autopost ...
Columns explanation :
`name` - name of the feed - is also used in posting
`url` - URL of the feed ...
`next_check` - next check time (from PHP function time())
`next_check_after` - number of hours between checks
`destination_id` - forum_id where BOT will try to post
`enabled` INT( 1 ) - boolean - if true, this feed will be checked

In the phpbb_lastpostrss_autopost is this:
Code:
SELECT * FROM `phpbb_lastrss_autopost` WHERE 1`name``url``next_check``next_check_after``destination_id``enabled`

I need some help setting this up.

What i want is the feed url to be http://www.macrumors.com/macrumors.xml , the name to be MacRumors, the forum id to be 47 (I think, or http://smartmaconline.com/viewforum.php?f=47 (board disabled))
I want it to start checking whenever, and it to recheck afterthat every hour.

Can anyone help, I'm not very good with Mysql.

xmakina

Reaction score
This really isn't an SQL thing. MySQL is simply a database, it can't actively fill itself. I'd be interested in the solution as I'm looking to put together something similar but in the meantime I recommend you investigate CRON Jobs, they're possibly what you're after. Execute a script at (whenever) that reads the RSS feed and adds the new information into your database

blackhnd

Reaction score
This really isn't an SQL thing. MySQL is simply a database, it can't actively fill itself. I'd be interested in the solution as I'm looking to put together something similar but in the meantime I recommend you investigate CRON Jobs, they're possibly what you're after. Execute a script at (whenever) that reads the RSS feed and adds the new information into your database

Yeah, for this kind of stuff, you have to have a cron task running, and you have to know PHP to make a cron script.

you should take a look at some of the phpBB default cron tasks, and program yours around them.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
This really isn't an SQL thing. MySQL is simply a database, it can't actively fill itself
Exactly. The MySQL database is a way of holding information, not doing anything much else. For example, the forums require a MySQL database, because that is where all threads, posts, and users are kept.

Jordan C

Reaction score
Yes. But the confgeration is in the database, as they do not have a ACP panel yet.

All I need to know is how to setup the config.

xmakina

Reaction score
You've lost me. Config for what? Who is they? Why does ACP come into this?

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you mean opening a connection to the Database?
I think that can be done by simply using the PHP function 'include()' to include the file.
Example:
Code:
<?php
include 'config.php';
/*All the other stuff goes here*/
?>

Jordan C

Reaction score
Never mind, I found out what I was doing wrong.

*Topic locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.