New CSS WordPress Layout

monky91

Reaction score
It is nice, I like it, the colour match well, and the font too. I give it a 8/10 since nothing is perfect 10.

Can I use your template?

Woolie

Reaction score
It will be available when I make a new one. Thats generally the way I do it.

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice man! I like it.
I'll give you a 9/10.
I would love to know how to do such nice layouts :p

Joker Boy

Reaction score
I like the scrolling features. The way the background stays still but the text only scrolls. Very nice. Very proffessional. =D 8/10

jaygreentree

Reaction score
Very nice work Woolie. Do you do custom skins for others? I would be willing to make a donation of 60 x10 points and advertise your site free

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Yum that's nice; tell me when you've made it publicly available! Make sure to credit all the images too

Woolie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great reviews! It's what makes it all worthwhile. I'll release it when I have it cleaned up to the WordPress standards (they're fussy about some things). Perhaps a re-design of the navigation column also. I was never happy with that, and it got changed many times.

jaygreentree - I'm afraid I just don't have the time to do custom layouts anymore, it got a bit too much when I started the paid business to be rolling out virtually free layouts aswell.

fedlerner - Like most things in life it just takes time. I didn't learn over night, it's taken about a year to learn CSS to my current standard (mastering PHP and learning Object Pascal (Delphi) at the same time though). If you're serious about making good websites just practice! X10 provide an excellent service for you to experiment on, I started with them. My advice is, don't go straight for the tutorials. Try something out, keep going at it until you're completly stuck and almost start crying. Then go and find the answer. I believe that you remember it better that way (personal opinion).

Anyway, thanks for all the great feedback.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Awesome... I love the style and color scheme of this. Very cool indeed!

A couple of questions:

Did you use a tutorial to make this?
Would you mind describing the process you used?
Can I use this template as an example of one I have in progress?

Please and thank you!

Tastypoo

Reaction score
I don't really like the butterfly on the banner because it looks kind of girly, and the background is kind of weird. But it looks good other wise, nice borders.

Woolie

Reaction score
"Tastypoo", may I ask, are you 10 years old?

Bonekhan - No I haven't used a tutorial. Also if I had used a tutorial, I wouldn't have published it as then it wouldn't be mine would it ;), and that would just be embarassing.

It would take me a while to go through everything I did, but I can point you in the right direction. To start with, one important thing to remember when designing websites, is that you can't use too many large images. The combined size of all the images on the home page of Woolie.co.uk only amounts to
53 kb. To keep the size of your pages down, you have to tile the images accross various places. For example, the background of Woolie.co.uk is just a 1433px by 8 px image tiled accross the X axis. This gives the illusion of one big background image. The advantages of this is of course the file size (1.14 KB), and that it will expand to any screen size. I have done this using CSS, but it is easy enough to do using tables (if you are using them). If you go to the bottom of this page here then that shows you how to do it. (if you knew how to do the above stuff, sorry).

If you have used any other templating systems, WordPress will be a peice of cake to you. If not, then it will still be. WordPress has one of the most simple templating systems I have seen (hence loving to use it). I've just found this tutorial on Google for you, it looks good. Click Here

"Can I use this template as an example of one I have in progress?" - I have no idea what that means.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Woolie said:
"Tastypoo", may I ask, are you 10 years old?

Bonekhan - No I haven't used a tutorial. Also if I had used a tutorial, I wouldn't have published it as then it wouldn't be mine would it ;), and that would just be embarassing.

It would take me a while to go through everything I did, but I can point you in the right direction. To start with, one important thing to remember when designing websites, is that you can't use too many large images. The combined size of all the images on the home page of Woolie.co.uk only amounts to
53 kb. To keep the size of your pages down, you have to tile the images accross various places. For example, the background of Woolie.co.uk is just a 1433px by 8 px image tiled accross the X axis. This gives the illusion of one big background image. The advantages of this is of course the file size (1.14 KB), and that it will expand to any screen size. I have done this using CSS, but it is easy enough to do using tables (if you are using them). If you go to the bottom of this page here then that shows you how to do it. (if you knew how to do the above stuff, sorry).

If you have used any other templating systems, WordPress will be a peice of cake to you. If not, then it will still be. WordPress has one of the most simple templating systems I have seen (hence loving to use it). I've just found this tutorial on Google for you, it looks good. Click Here

"Can I use this template as an example of one I have in progress?" - I have no idea what that means.

Thanks! :D