Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I made a new group (my first :biggrin:) here on x10. Let me know if you're interested.

Group name: Professional web and graphic designers

Group link: http://forums.x10hosting.com/groups/professional-web-graphic-designers.html

Group description:
I made this group to gather up all professional web and graphic designers here on x10. The purpose of this group is to let everybody know that your work and experience stands behind your reviews, design related comments and posts.

My intentions are not to insult anybodies work but this group is "Invite Only". I would be the one to deciding who can become a member and who can't. Who am I to make that derision? First of all I made this group so If you don't like it just make your own :) Second, you can see my work and experience all over the forums and I think that speaks for itself.

FAQ

Q:How can I become a member?
A:There are two ways:
  1. Post here on this thread;
  2. PM me;
IMPORTANT! In both case you'll have to post (or send) examples of your work or link to your portfolio site (if you have one).

What are you waiting for :biggrin:

marryroy

Reaction score
Hello leviathon...
I read your comment.And also go through the links that you have provided.That is really a very nice group.I am a very big fan about web sit designing,And appreciate your idea for prompting such group on internet.Thank you for sharing the post...

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thank you all for your support.

Remember, this group can't accomplish anything if no one is interested in becoming a member, so please feel free to apply for a membership if you are a web or graphic designer.

Thanks in advance.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Come on people! I can't believe there are no professional web and/or graphic designers here. PLEASE submit your work here so we can finally get some members!!!

Thank you.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
What defines a "professional" designer? Most people on the forum probably wouldn't call themselves professional...

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Simply put, professional means that you get payed for your work.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
So I assume its an "I live off/support myself by being a web designer" rather than a "I've done/am doing a project which I am getting paid for." type of thing? If that's the case, I doubt there will be a lot of people. Most people here probably couldn't be called pros. It is a free hosing forum, so I doubt many professional web designers conglomerate here.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So I assume its an "I live off/support myself by being a web designer" rather than a "I've done/am doing a project which I am getting paid for." type of thing?

Correct.

It is a free hosing forum, so I doubt many professional web designers conglomerate here.

Well, I'm here :biggrin: When I have a project that's not that important or I want to share something with everyone I usually use free hosting. I mean if I'm offering something for free on my website why should I pay for the hosting. It's not about money, it's just my way of looking at things.

But OK, if you (or anybody else) have few years of experience and some work behind you that I can see, feel free to post a request. Main idea of this group is to gather up people that can help those who want to become web designers and already have some knowledge regarding web and graphic design. To be able to offer a professional opinion based on experience. On the other hand this group is not for everyone because questions like "Help I don't know where to upload?" or "What is this CSS everybody is talking about?" are not welcome. Those questions can be answered by anyone with basics knowledge of web design or simply searching the web. You don't need a professional opinion for that.

I hope I explained it a little bit more and that people would consider joining now even if they aren't professional web and/ or graphic designers.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea :)

I don't fit the criterias though, so far I have very little work to show, and thus practically no experience as well. I'm working on getting there though.

I do not expect to get paid enough to keep it as full time job in a near future, atm I don't expect to get paid at all due to lack of experience / knowledge.

xPlozion

Reaction score
I'm like to think of myself as a pro designer (more of a coder), although i do it for free

http://www.esaw2012.com

I also used to have a site hosted here, but due to my inactivity after the big server issue several months ago, I lost interest (mainly because i was missing a lot of my code and all, silly me for not backing up).

Last edited:

atjohnson

Reaction score
I suppose I could possibly call myself a professional graphic web designer =)

I used to create marketing and safety graphics for Kellogg's Company USA's internet and intranet. As well as done a lot of work in graphic web design. I'll have to message you my work if I can ever find it (Kelloggs has a knack for making sure they keep everything if they've paid you for it)

I guess I started designing websites when I was 13 so just over 7 years now, but my experience has been mostly in aviation / airline related marketing and food safety. So I would love to join your group and talk to people doing a lot of the same things I am. Plus I could use a little help relearning all that coding that I've been so not fond of in the last year or so.

Thx!
Alexander T. Johnson

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@xPlozion: Based on the link you posted I can say you are definitely a coder. That's good but I'm trying to find web designers that can do both coding and design. On the other hand I doubt I'll find real professional web designers here so please post some more work and I'll see. If you fully coded this (no third-party clan scripts) and you have some other work to show I'll be glad to invite you to the group as coder.

@atjohnson: Looking forward to see your work.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry leafypiggy but I'll have to think about this. I don't want to lie to you, I'm not impressed. Work like http://neilhanlon.com/Designs/DarkVision/ or http://neilhanlon.com/Designs/Blog/ is not what I expected. I also don't like to see template on a portfolio site. You have to do it yourself if you're a professioan web and/or graphic designer.

You haven't centered page content on http://neilhanlon.co.cc/Designs/FreeDNS/ template. Just zoom out and you'll see what's the problem. I use 22" monitor and the page is misplaced comparing to background.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Again I repeat myself. This is old stuff.

Did you actually READ my post?

Most of that stuff is wicked old. Freedns was abandoned, darkvisiom was me just fooling around, etc.

The template on my site is because I havnt designed a good enough template for the portfolio yet. I do have a Christmas theme in the works right now.

I'm going to upload newer stuff tonight.

While you wait: outdated version: http://neilhanlon.com/josepharm/

and you can pm me for my home pc. But I don't gauruntee itll be up. I'm doing electrical work.

Last edited:

kaleidoscopekorral

Reaction score
Hey Johnny,

Your group sounds like a great idea and an amateur like me would love to learn more about design in general when you get this thing going.

-kaleidoscopekorral

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes I read your post leafypiggy but why did you posted it if it's not reflecting your work?

@kaleidoscopekorral: thanks :)

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Ecause you were asking for examples of my work. Wheter it's bad or good, it's my work.

moiety

Reaction score
What's the point of the group? I'm up for it if there's some useful purpose, but if it's just another way of sucking up time to no good effect there's too many of those already.

Have this as an offering anyway. It will be a site, but keeps turning into a testbed:
http://lasered.info/