Nvu or Dreamweaver?

What HTML editor(s) do you use?

• Total voters

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Which do you prefer? I prefer Nvu, just because it's free. I'm only 12, so Dreamweaver would be very hard to get my hands on. Nvu has always had everything that I needed. I just don't get what the difference is between Nvu and KompoZer. Have you noticed anything?

pc-whizz

Reaction score
I personally prefer Dreamweaver as it actually gives you SSI support as well as PHP and other scripts. I have used NVU and found it very limiting as it had many bugs and I wasn't used to it. As for the Frontpage, I have used it and Microsoft's new HTML program (it's just like Frontpage) Sharepoint Designer. I would recommend Dreamweaver. You can get a free 30 day trial download and it's the full version. Then I would recommend Sharepoint (you can no longer download a free trail of Frontpage) as you can get a free 6 month trial and it's a full version. I have used Sharepoint since X-Mas but then it expired so I tried NVU and found it so annoying because I couldn't get support for the bugs. Then I bought Dreamweaver having tried it. However, for those who like the coding, you can't go wrong with Notepad (With Windows) or an open source version of Notepad that is called Notepad + and Notepad ++.

I hope you found this useful. I exist to be helpful, lol.

burner35

Reaction score
I do actually prefer Dreamweaver. As it has basic and advanced support for quick site management. ie. PHP & MySQL, I use it as one of the better form and forum creators.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Dreamweaver is my personal preference, but I use Notepad if that's not available.

-Luke.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
nVu is trademarked by Linspire I believe, and some people got hold of the code for it and made some updates to create Kompozer, but it's still not actively developed that I can tell.

I use Expression Web 2, it now supports PHP and embedding stuff too.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Nvu is open-source. So people decided to take the source-code, fix some bugs, and insert some crappy CSS manager called CaScadeS. It's pretty dumb and hard to figure out. I'm currently looking for a better WYSIWYG (freeware) editor. If you know of one, please tell me.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I mainly use Dreamweaver but when I'm not at my Laptop I either use Notepad or eXtplorer.

burner35

Reaction score
Same, I will use Dreamweaver on my main computer. But when I'm on a laptop, I use Notepad. :)

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
nVu is trademarked by Linspire I believe, and some people got hold of the code for it and made some updates to create Kompozer, but it's still not actively developed that I can tell.

I use Expression Web 2, it now supports PHP and embedding stuff too.

This isn't flaming or being rude, but I think Microsoft should have recognised the need for those features and added them to Expression Web 1.0. Expression web is basically FrontPage 12.1 anyway, it hasn't changed much since FrontPage in Office XP. Standards support is mildly better, but not half as good as Dreamweaver. I suppose it's got potential in the future though.

-Luke.

catz154

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver , because it is easy for me to use, and that is all I have, actually Windows comes with notepad, so I use that occasionally.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't have Dreamweaver so I just use Kompozer or Vim. :)

GBH187

Reaction score
notepad for the win

altho as I have posted previously pico is awesome for linux

so umm ssh+pico+iphone = day @ beach ?

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I wish I could get my hands on a copy of Dreamweaver. My dad works for (actually, he owns it) a web-design business. I'm hoping he has a copy of an older version (MX 2004 is the one he uses) of Dreamweaver I could use.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Yes! My dad just got me a copy of Dreamweaver MX 2004 from his office. My Nvu problems are solved.

oxyshow

Reaction score
Eh, I voted Dreamweaver because it's more aesthetically pleasing. The interface, that is.

souradipm

Reaction score
Notepad because it is fast :p
And the cPanel one because I cant be bothered to keep re-uploading it all the time

Armacci Design

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver, just because that's what's I'm used to - it's comfortable for me. I tried Nvu before I learned DW, but it always froze on me and was generally very unstable. Maybe I just had a bad version, but that experience sadly made me shy away from it.