• Photoshop

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

exemption

Reaction score
What is better?
Photoshop CS3? Or GIMP?
Please do post good reasons..

I like GIMP alot better..it can do everything CS3 can do...and more..
It doesnt have the same layout and interface..but that can easily be fixed by going to dialogue..
Most of all its free..but the only thing..that I know of..is that it cannot do animations like Photoshop CS3..that is to my knowledge..if it can do share please..

Thats my opinion..post yours..

firesteel

Reaction score
Depends on the OS.

For Windows, neither. I use Paint.Net

For Linux, there can be only one: Gimp

Both do everything I have ever required in an image manipulation software. Both are free. Both support layers, and have ample plug-ins available. I've used Adobe Photoshop from CS3, and it's a quite nice, and certainly worth every cent you'd pay for it. But I don't make a living doing paste up for print houses, or work as an artist in an advertising firm, so the rather high price one pays for the Adobe product is a non starter for me.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I rather use PS, because the layout for one is really nice. I remember CS2 when you couldn't make all the sidebars collapse, and now thinking about it that was a pain in the ass. but if you have the money I would def. go for CS4

balaji2u

Reaction score
i just saw gimp only once when i tried out a red hat installation.but i hang out with adobe ps all the time from my personal photo editing needs to my web page banner creations www.forumize.co.cc

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I rather use photoshop whereas it has more features.

RossSchVle

Banned
Reaction score
I have used photoshop for many years, but after turning my laptop into a linux pc I now use gimp which I think is a lot better and much more stable than photoshop cs3

RSACorp

Reaction score
I have used photoshop for many years, but after turning my laptop into a linux pc I now use gimp which I think is a lot better and much more stable than photoshop cs3

Have not tried this but will do. Thanks for the input. :lockd:

NattyFido

Reaction score
GIMP is cheaper!!!! It does everything I need it to do and works on my Windoze box and my Linux box.

As an aside, I just applied for a job as a Graphic Designer, and they wanted someone with experience of PhotoShop and CorelDraw. When I said I had neither, but could use The GIMP, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about!!! I don't think I will get the job. ( I hate software snobbery )

Sohail

Reaction score
CS3 is the more professional choice, I haven't used GIMP but I do know that Photoshop has never failed me, it's completely worth getting and I would say that the only thing that's better than CS3 is the new CS4 ;).

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
What is better?
I like GIMP alot better..it can do everything CS3 can do...and more..

I'd say the opposite.. Photoshop is better in my opinion and works better too.. but thats probably a personnal choice. I wouldn't say it's really worth all the money asked for it but when you have it is so good (and works well with a lot of other products too).

Dan

Reaction score
I say Photoshop definitely, if you need it for proper professional use then it is definitely the best way to go. It is more reliable, to me seems to have more effects and filters etc. I say you can't beat it.
The last time I used Gimp, it failed me miserably in that it wouldn't install properly on Windows, and then when I installed it on my Linux machine it wouldn't save anything as a JPG for some reason...

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Photoshop is nice but the cost is outrageous.

I've used GIMP a few years back, while it's nice, it didn't do everything I wanted it to. Maybe now it's better.

I guess the reason why I choose Photoshop is mainly because I'm used to it and understand it better than GIMP.