php include - above root directory

tillabong

Reaction score
if i want to include a sensitive file like a database login, where should i place the file when i upload to x10hosting server? if my root directory is public_html/www.mywebsite.com do i place it at public_html/databaselogin folder? and how do i link to that file using php include?

thank you very much.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
u can use any folder inside public_html or there itself
U can use include function in any php file to link it
For eg
<?php
include("includes/connection.php") // includes is the folder where connection.php is located
?>

tillabong

Reaction score
but the php include function only allows me to include files that are in my root folder which in this case is public_html/www.mysite.com. i want to store my database login above the root folderlike public_html/databaselogin for security purposes.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
U mean outside the root folder i e.(www.mysite.com -root) and u wanna place databaselogin in public_htnl or wht

tillabong

Reaction score
yes i would like to place the file outside the root folder. and use php include to put it on my site.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Since the database login is in the root folder u should use
<?php
include("databaselogin.php") // since in root folder no path is req
?>
try this this must solve ur problem

tillabong

Reaction score
my root folder is public_html/mysite.com. the database login file is in public_html/databaselogin folder which is outside the root folder. so the php include you wrote wont work.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Try referring absolute path....
Is this a addon domain.

marshian

Reaction score
I lol'd :p

If you want to "secure" a script, don't put it in public_html at all, you can put it even higher than that. (eg. make a directory nonpublic_html)
As vishal2 (finally) noticed in the end, you can use absolute paths ("/home/username/public_html/script.php" for example), or perhaps easier: relative paths can do this too.
To refer to the directory above the one you're currently in, use "..".

So, if you have a script in public_html/site.com and want to refer from there to a script public_html/nonpublic/script.php, you can use
PHP:
include "../nonpublic/script.php";

Edit: sorry, too late :(

Last edited:

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
marshian u made an important point...... good i support u

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If you want to make things really simple, put an init.php in ~/public_html and include it with a include_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/init.php'). Within init.php, add top-level include paths:
PHP:
// add ~/include/php and doc root to include path
set_include_path(get_include_path() 
        . PATH_SEPARATOR . dirname($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']) . '/include/php'
        . PATH_SEPARATOR . $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']);

If you want to get fancy, define a function to append to the include path:
PHP:
 function addToIncludePath($path) {
    $currIncPath = get_include_path();
    if (!preg_match('#(^|' . PATH_SEPARATOR . ')'.preg_quote($path, '#').'(' . PATH_SEPARATOR . '|$)#', $currIncPath)) {
        set_include_path($currIncPath . PATH_SEPARATOR . $path);
    }
}

If you're on paid hosting, you can set auto_prepend_file (with php_value in .htaccess) to make this even easier, including init.php implicitly. At that point you can set include_path directly, but doing it in init.php means it's auto-configuring; you don't need to have a different configuration for your development and live servers.

Last edited:

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Really helpfull misson, thks for the info

tillabong

Reaction score
thanks for all the help. but how do you include a file that is not under /home/user/public_html. lets says i put it in /home/user/databse folder.how do i use php include to direct the file there?

if my root folder is /home/user/public_html/mysite.com and i put my database log in file above my root site but still under public_html folder. why wont it be safe? cause my root directory is still /home/user/public_html/mysite.com and people cant access files above my root directory if they access my website right?

sorry i know thats a bit too many questions. im really new at this. hope you guys could help me out. thanks.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
U can use relative path like inclued "/home/user/databse.php"
If you looking for more security u will have to begin from the first.Try using relative path it nust work

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry, i will give a try to solve it and if i get i will post you

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I do believe that to be able to include a file not in the public_html folder (or one of its subfolders), you'll need to use absolute path.

Should be something like: /home/cpanelusername/path/to/script/script.php

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
I just tried using relative path and it just working fine... I dont know why you ends up with error

tillabong

Reaction score
i created a folder home/user/Database and i put the database login file in that folder using php include.

include_once '/home/user/Database/db_connect.php';

and it gave this error.

include_once(/home/user/Database/db_connect.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Last edited: