QEMU/VirtualBox inside the OpenVZ VM?

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
I'd like to run a Windows ShotFactory on my Debian VPS, and before I got started with it, I just wanted to pop in here and ask if anyone else has previously run a virtual machine inside their VPS and has advice, and also to double-check that it's an OK thing to do on x10.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
It may be theoretically possible, but I've never tried it, and personally wouldn't recommend it. You would be trying to run a Virtual Machine inside a Virtual Machine and I imagine you'll encounter many problems. I'm not even sure you'll be able to get virtualbox running properly as it required kernel modules to be installed on the host OS, which as I think the host kernel is shared with the VPS host, that will fail.

I don't think there is anything against it in the TOS, so you are welcome to try it. But I don't think it'll work well if at all.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
You, sir, have effectively just issued me a challenge.

I will report back! ;)

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You might be better off running your app with wine.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
My app is IE7 ;)

I've got a Windows Server 2003 instance successfully installed in QEMU. It's a little sluggish with only 128MB RAM, but at least it runs. Next step is to get networking functional.