Questions about Content Management Systems

sclewin

Reaction score
with many people suggesting a Content Management System to write with I am becoming more interested in trying out out just to see what it is like. I just have a few questions.

How easy is it to make a unique site with one? I mean, I do not want to just use a template that others have probably used.

If I do decide to use my own custom html/css, how easy is it to add? Is it as easy as if I used a IDE like Quanta and wrote it myself?

If I want to open up html/css/JavaScript code created by a CMS in an IDE would it be easy to alter? Also, if I go poking around would I screw up the CMS at all?

Lastly, what is the most popular open source CMS? And, what do you consider to be the best CMS?

I'm sorry about all the questions. Up until a day ago I would not even consider a CMS and I have only recently found out about them.

Reaction score
Joomla seems to be becoming one of the more popular CMS's.
Although it's more of a blogging system I do like WordPress which can, in my opinion, be considered a CMS too.
Most CMS's allow you to edit their files from inside the Admin panel - for example; wordpress is made up of a few different files and in the Admin panel you're able to view and edit the code in the window it provides.

sclewin

Reaction score
Joomla seems to be becoming one of the more popular CMS's.
Joomla is one of the ones I am thinking about giving a try.

Although it's more of a blogging system I do like WordPress which can, in my opinion, be considered a CMS too.
I have tried WordPress when I put together a test blog and I liked it for a blog and I can see why you consider it a CMS, but it would be too constricting for me.

Most CMS's allow you to edit their files from inside the Admin panel
This sounds a lot like PHPBB3 where you can edit the html and CSS through its own little editor. Is it like that? That may be sufficient for me.

Reaction score
I've not tried Phpbb3 but I'm pretty sure we're on about the same thing of it being in it's own little editor - although it's simply just the code in the window and you can add, change or remove the code then save it and it changes whatever you've editted straight away.

Eclipse4

Reaction score
Go with Joomla, although it can be a bit overwhelming for the first time and it takes a little while to get used to it and learn about all the features and possibilities it has, it's a great CMS and you can basically do whatever you want with it.

I would also recommend going with the latest version.

A good template site I suggest is www.joomla24.com
They have tons of free templates, and like phpBB3, in Joomla admin panel there is a template manager and you can edit the html and css of the templates.

There is also a huge extensions (add-ons) library at extensions.joomla.org
Extensions provide a great amount of extra features for Joomla.

Here are some extensions I recommend:

FireBoard forum - http://www.bestofjoomla.com/content/blogsection/3/9/

eCommerce for Joomla - http://virtuemart.net/

Article comment system - http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomagecomment/

Photo Gallery - http://www.rsgallery2.net/

Video gallery/upload system - http://www.joomlaholic.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=1&Itemid=2

(Be careful with that last one, if you are using x10hosting you have to disable uploading for other people, only you can upload, and it can't be copyrighted material)

Those are just a few of the great things about Joomla.

I hope I helped.

sclewin

Reaction score
Go with Joomla, although it can be a bit overwhelming for the first time and it takes a little while to get used to it and learn about all the features and possibilities it has, it's a great CMS and you can basically do whatever you want with it.
I'm going to take your advice and I have just installed Joomla from the C-Panel.

I would also recommend going with the latest version.
I noticed the one installed with fantastico looks like it is outdated. If it is, is it easy to update, or do you suggest I install Joomla from their website?

A good template site I suggest...
Thank you for the suggestions, I will make sure to take the time to check them out.

I hope I helped.
Yes it did, thank you. I made sure to add to your reputation.
Edit:
I tried Joomla on my site and I know it is not for me because I do all my editing on one computer and I like to have full control over my site. But, I can easily see how Joomla can be a very powerful for some people.

If I wanted to get a site up and running fast or if I did not want to work that much on my site, I could get a full functioning site with all the extras (RSS news, login, etc.) up and running much faster than any WYSIWYG or IDE. Also, I can see how a CMS would be good for beginners as you don't need to edit code and it looks like a CMS would not screw up code as much as WYSIWYG's do.

Last edited: