Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

lambada

Reaction score
Well, for those of you who don't know Celebrity Big Brother is a reality TV show in which celebrities are moved into a house for a couple of weeks during which they have no contact with the outside world and are watched by cameras 24/7. Viewers eliminate celebrities, at which point they move out, and the last one left is the winner.

Recently there have been several racial incidents which have been broadcast both live and in edited summaries - http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1247795,00.html

What I want to ask is this:
Do you think Channel 4 were right in broadcasting this and why.

Zenax

Reaction score
No I do not think Channel 4 were right to broadcast this out to the public. I do not think it is correct for this house to even be in existance. It should be destroyed and the program never be broadcast again.

It is shocking and disgusting to even think that Channel Four would broadcast this material. If I was ofcom, I would of slapped a heavy fine on them, and asked that this TV program to be stopped being showed.

Sky Website said:
Media watchdog Ofcom had reported a record 19,300 complaints against the programme, with a further 2,000 contacting Channel 4 to voice their dismay.

This signifies how many people think this is wrong, and the program should be sorted out immediatley!

Regards,
Zenax

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
I haven't watched the show in question although I did read the article you linked to.

I don't see why a television station should have to stop airing a show where someone said (or supposedly said) something racist.

The show doesn't need to be cancelled or the episode left unaired just because of that.

That's really like shutting down an Internet forum because a member on it was a racist or posted a racial remark. You wouldn't shut down the whole forum, but instead get rid of the problem member.

Plus, how could you really just leave the episode unaired? People would be confused about what was going on or what happened. It seems like letting someone read a book that you ripped 10 pages out of at a point where a major plot change occurs.

Last edited:

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
They cna broadcats it it will just give them a bad name.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
They cna broadcats it it will just give them a bad name.
One liners are a no-no in Crossfire. I don't really see why it would give them a bad name. Showing it doesn't mean they're endorsing it. If I say on this forum that I enjoy stealing things, it does not mean that Corey promotes such behavior. If I say that I don't (or do) like George W. Bush, and Corey does not delete my post, it does not mean that he agrees with me.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Well seeing as they already broadcasted it, it doesn't really matter anymore. The person shouldn't have said it in the first place.

azntechguy

Reaction score
Since there's no broadcasters in my area broadcasting that show, I didn't see it.

From what I've read though, I do think Channel 4 should've broadcasted that show. At the very least, it exposes flaws still existing with people to the public (namely that of racism, though I'm not quite sure it's racism. Make no mistake that it is derrogatory though!). Chancellor Brown is quite right, but I hope he realizes it's moments like these that gets him closer to what he said to the media.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Before all companies that broadcast tv shows or radio shows that people state their view they should state:

The following views are not the views of *name*

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Before all companies that broadcast tv shows or radio shows that people state their view they should state:

The following views are not the views of *name*
It's obvious that the views of one person on a show aren't necessarily the views of the network. They shouldn't even have to state that, but unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people who sue whenever they get the chance. I've heard that a person once broke into someone's house, and got injured while doing it. The person who broke in then sued the owner of the house and won.

Zenax

Reaction score
The thing is there have been over 30,000 complaints to ofcom about this. Their sponsors have pulled out. There have been riots in india, and politicians are deciding to get involved in this situation.

To be honest there is not much they can do about it now that it has been aired live.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
To be honest, i'm not even sure it was racist what she said. People are getting way to worked up over it i think.

And Jade isn't exactly renowned for her understanding and political correctness anyway. She even admits herself she is common.

The entire point of Big Brother is that people conflict in this small enclosed environment. Its notmeant to be a place of peace and harmony. That would be boring. However sadistic it may seem, people like seeing others get into big arguments and rows. And with all those emotions and big egos in such a small space, its logical that it might boil over into racism.

Really, to me, the argument isn't over whether jade was racist, or whether channel 4 were right to broadcast it, beacuse what has been said has been said, and they have already broadcast it numerous times. The argument is about whether "reality" (quoted because they are nothing like reality anyway) programs like big brother should even exist in the first place. Which are design to make sparks fly by cramming togther people with massively conflicting personalites and making them perform often stupid tasks and confine them to this place for extended periods. Its not good programming to begin with.

Zenax

Reaction score
These types of programs should not be broadcast. They should be removed from television and not be allowed to be broadcast again.

I agree with UnpixelatedGamers. It is not good programming, and the stupid tasks they make some people do are ridiculous.

I think it is because, they believe they are celebraties, that they can get away with practically anything they want, Which Aint True!

Regards,
Zenax

Alexis

Reaction score
Its a big fuss about nothing in my opinion! Theres nothing wrong with the program in itself, its the contestants views which were not approved of, but so what??? Everyone is allowed to their opinions, but of course its not a nice thing when its racism. Which is currently a hot topic, due to tensions, what with the war in Iraq and war on terror etc...

Zenax

Reaction score
However, Channel Four have come under fire again! As they air a new reality TV program called Shipwrecked, where constants are forced to live on an island in the middle of no where!

http://www.metro.co.uk said:
Channel 4 was at the centre of a fresh race row today after a teenage reality show contestant called for the return of slavery.

Lucy Buchanan, 18, said black people were "really bad" during the opening episode of Shipwrecked.

She said: "Britain is a complete mess. I just don't appreciate people coming into our country and taking over our culture.

"We've got way too many cultures. Britain's not really Britain any more.

"I'm for the British Empire and things. I'm for slavery, but that's never going to come back."

The former boarding school pupil's comments put beleaguered Channel 4 bosses under renewed pressure.

The channel's board is already reviewing Big Brother after Jade Goody sparked a race row by bullying Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.

But a spokeswoman said Lucy's comments were immediately criticised by contestants so viewers were aware they were "offensive and unacceptable".

Media watchdog Ofcom has received 196 complaints about racism on the show.

Online message boards were deluged with outraged posts. One viewer wrote on the Digital Spy website: "Channel 4, giving a voice to the BNP."

In an outburst aired on Sunday, Lucy, of Edinburgh, also criticised gays and fat people.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "When Lucy airs her opinions, they are immediately criticised, so viewers are instantly aware that her peers find them offensive and unacceptable.

"Those who continue to watch Shipwrecked will see, as the series progresses, Lucy's views change as she interacts and is challenged by other contestants."

The show sees young people living as castaways on desert islands in the South Pacific.

This was the front page story on the front of my morning metro! (Free Newspaper!)

Bit highlighted in bold and red is the bit that is most important.

Articz

Reaction score
ive NEVER watched it myself as i think its just a stupid way to get viewing figures. i think it was wrong to broadcast this show and hopefully ofcom can pull the next one. its amazing how itv wanted to buy the show last summer for over 100million.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
Racism will never go away. I believe in free speech. If you can't take a joke, I don't realize why it should matter. Hate crimes are another thing entirely, however, but simple jokes are nothing.

Kay

Reaction score
I didn't once it at first, but then started watching it when it was on. I think that we all say things that we dont mean at any time, however when there is the pressure of cameras on you 24/7 you dont know what to say. I personally feel that Channel 4 should of not broadcast everything, and possibly cut out parts sine they knew that troubles would be arise.

Bonekhan

Reaction score
I didn't once it at first, but then started watching it when it was on. I think that we all say things that we dont mean at any time, however when there is the pressure of cameras on you 24/7 you dont know what to say. I personally feel that Channel 4 should of not broadcast everything, and possibly cut out parts sine they knew that troubles would be arise.

Everyone has that inner racist in them. That part of them that fears for their wallet when they're alone in an elevator with a person of certain ethnicity; the part of them that fires up random stereotypes as you see people on the street. Its there, and I'm sure even the most politically correct of us are guilty of this... Even if we were to never to admit to it.