Radeon HD 3870 - Opinions?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Last edited:

Archkronos

Reaction score
I've got a 8800 Ultra in this computer and I can assure that they work astoundingly.

I've had an ATi card before and they're alright. I perfer nVidia's myself but that's pure preference. Both should cater for whatever you need.

I'd still get 8800 myself, though.

theterminator

Reaction score
ehh, i've never owned an nVidia card and I say my old Radeon X1650 Pro that I bought for 70$ works on some of these games and gives amazing results for the price payed. So yeah I would go with the ATI. I'm thinking of getting the same card myself.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
ehh, i've never owned an nVidia card and I say my old Radeon X1650 Pro that I bought for 70$ works on some of these games and gives amazing results for the price payed. So yeah I would go with the ATI. I'm thinking of getting the same card myself.

ATi cards I find are more efficient when it comes down to framerates and poly production that nVidia cards, though nVidia cards often times have more RAW power which gives you more room for loading it down, at the expense of a few frames a second. I'm an nVidia fan though, but I'll support ATi of course. The XBox 360 and the Wii use custom ATi cards in them.

burner35

Reaction score
I have used Ati and nVidia Cards in the past but I stick with nVidia, because I find it has more support to offer in help wise. As with ATI I don't really care much as they are just dead to me. :(

intertec

Reaction score
You should get the ATI 3870 and get a crossfire compatible motherboard so you can save up more and get an extra ATI 3870. Than it will be awesome and future proof!

burner35

Reaction score
I wouldn't really go for dual Graphics. It slows my computer down and gives it a bad score.

stahn.universe

Reaction score
I've got a Sapphire 3870 (single slot). Don't try to overclock it, or use only the Catalyst software for that.

Crysis, played the demo in mid high or something at 1024 and had 20-30 FPS. COD4, played the demo, max settings in 1024 and 1280 and no FPS lag.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
ATi cards I find are more efficient when it comes down to framerates and poly production that nVidia cards, though nVidia cards often times have more RAW power which gives you more room for loading it down, at the expense of a few frames a second.
Quite the opposite, ATI cards have been ahead in raw power and poor in optimization and balance (like low amounts of texture operators compared to Nvidia, while being loaded up with stream processors). Nvidia has a nice lead in price-performance ratio up to their 8800GT. After that, ATI is back in the game with the 4850 and 4870, so I'd pick from those 3 cards as a lower ATI card or a higher Nvidia card wouldn't give you the BEST bang-for-buck.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Heh forgot to close this thread; I got a dual-slot cooling 512 MB 8800GT from EVGA for $120. COD4 is maxed, and Crysis is nearly maxed. This is a HUGE improvement from the 8600GT