Review my site and writing for credits!

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, amateur author Calvin Vandermeer here. I created my site www.cvandermeer.com as a place to host my stories that I write as a hobby. I write in a variety of genres and update every sunday with a brand new piece of short fiction.

So here's what I want you to do. Go to my site, read a story (the genres that I write in are displayed across the top) and comment using my shiny new comment system. It doesn't matter what story you comment on, but the horror/drama category and the romance category contain pieces that I am particularily fond of. Alternatively, just post feedback about the site design here. Once you have done that, post here and tell me what you posted so that I can donate credits.

The payment is as follows:
For 1 or more posts - 20 credits flat. This is so that people don't just spam the comments board for evey story. HOWEVER - If your post is genuinely valid, contains good praise or criticism, and is more than just a one liner then I will reward you with more that the flat 20 credits, a number of my choosing. In the same way, if you have more than 1 post that are all genuine, I will again award more credits. My goal here is to get people to read my stories.

If you like my writing, then consider adding me to your favourites. I update every Sunday. And most importantly, if you like my writing - spread the word!

Thanks a lot,
Calvin

PS: For the comments section, your email address is not required and will not be displayed. But if you leave your email behind, I will be able to respond to your comment personally.

dunkjmcd

Reaction score
animated gifs are pretty much a nono these days. apart from the sites graphics the site has a very simple working layout.

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
@dunkjmcd
Do you see that as a good thing that it is a simple layout? And I created all of my graphics with MS paint. True story. It was hell.

dunkjmcd

Reaction score
Yes this simple layout avoids distracting the users attention away from the large amoutn of text they read. An option though would be to plit a story up over a number of pages eg per 500 words which would be useful for someone who cant want to read a story in one sitting. I didnt know anyone still used Paint. Give Paint.net or The Gimp a go. Paint.net has a very similar layout to Paint but better undo functions and uses object. The Gimp is more powerful but will take a beginner a bit of time to use. Both are free.

Sohail

Reaction score
I like your writing a lot (7/10) but i don't think you should write "hello everyone" in each article. The overall site design is okay but could be improved upon (6/10).

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
Instead of splitting it up into pages what about using anchors? Would that work? And Sohailamir52, how could I improve on the site and on my writing, specifically? Either way, I have send you both the credits.
Calvin

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
I bought the domain recently but haven't had the time to set it up completely. It is on my list of things to do this week. Any help you could give me on doing this (even just pointing me towards the right tutorial) would be greatly appreciated.
Calvin

budda

Reaction score
Changing nameservers depends on your Registar. Mine is easy, but as I don't know who is your Registar, can't give you detailed instructions. I will however give you some quick ones.

Find your DNS information (many have it listed as Domain Managment), then go to nameservers. Here there are multiple options. Normally it has forwarding, and places to enter information (a text box should have ns1.name.tld and a second one will have ns2.name.tld)

There you will put in ns1.x10hosting.com AND ns2.x10hosting.com in the TWO boxes.

Warning, the rest is brutal honesty. I don't hold back punches (and would be doing you a disservice if I did)

As for the site, just a quick review (will go through the writing later, as I'm also a writer), I don't like that top navigation bar. The difference in fonts is a little hard on the eyes. And I agree with the animated image. It attracts attention, and will make it harder for people to concentrate on your writing.

I will agree with the "Hello Everyone". Don't use it. Makes the page seem like it comes from a middle/high schooler. And that's rarely a good idea, unless that's the point to the site.

"All content is copyright © 2008 Calvin Vandermeer. All rights reserved, no reproduction in
part or in whole of any piece is allowed without my express permission."

Add that to the footer. Makes it look more professional. Also, so you know, if someone is doing a review of your site or a parody of your work, they can copy without permission, as long as it's not the whole thing (if I remember correctly, it's like 10 percent of the work), and as long as they credit you with the work.

I would look into doing something with the sidebars. The text is a slight distraction, as is the adsence skyscraper.

And I haven't even read the first story yet.

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
@Budda:
Thanks for your advice. Don't worry about offending me - I have a thick skin. I will take your suggestions as soon as I get access to my home computer. The only suggestion that I disagree with is the suggestion about the menu. Previously I had a plain text menu, and most people complained about it's lack of sophistication. I'm trying to consider a compromise that will look sophisticated without looky glitzy. I was thinking about changing to a tab look like on amazon.ca. It's frustrating because I just made the new menu a week ago, but whatever. Another possibility that I am thinking about implementing is changing the animated gif so that the transitions are more smooth and gradual, and it only plays once instead of looping. That way it gets the information across and then shuts up. Is that a better compromise? Anyways, feel free to comment further, and because your advice was obviously well thought out I repped you and sent 30 credits.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

I like the layout of the site, it's simple, easy to find your way around and has been structured sensibly, with users in mind.

I think your site could do with a logo to spruce up the header a little bit. I made mine in the GIMP, a free (open source, actually =P) image editor. It's got loads of features and is pretty easy to use once you've found your way around it. My logo took about 3 minutes to make and perfect.....just goes to show how little you have to do.

You need to change your font (Times New Roman isn't particularly pretty, nor is it easy to read). I'd recommend Tahoma/Arial but sans-serif is best because it's cross platform (cross platform meaning there's a variation of it in most, if not all, operating systems).

And a few of the graphics look outdated. You might want to try to bring the colours back a bit, sometimes a colourful website can feel cramped and messy to a user (I'm a fan of minimalistic graphics and layouts).

Overall, 7/10 from me.
-Luke

tittat

Reaction score
I bought the domain recently but haven't had the time to set it up completely. It is on my list of things to do this week. Any help you could give me on doing this (even just pointing me towards the right tutorial) would be greatly appreciated.
Calvin

r u remembering we are engaged in link exchange.
you site is listed in my links page here http://www.subeeshr.co.cc/p/links_page/links.php?cat.4

if you want to change your domain http://www.cvandermeer.x10hosting.com to www.cvandermeer.com in my links page i am happy to do it for you .

if you need any help in setuping your new domain let me know.

Last edited:

budda

Reaction score
Just did as I said I would, and went through some of your stories.

My only real problem with them is that it seems that you are holding back. Your descriptions are a bit off setting, and the characters all seem to be similar in speaking style (which is something really hard to get around, as I'm finding).

However, linking is good, so I linked your page from one of my blogs (travis-vaughan.co.cc) so that it might help you get more visitors, and therefor more feedback.

Last edited:

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that has responded so far. I am currently waiting for my transfer from www.cvandermeer.x10hosting.com to be completed to www.cvandermeer.com, but as soon as it does I will be putting the new site up, which was changed drastically as per your advice.

@tittat: If you don't mind, could you change your bookmark to my TLD? It would be greatly appreciated.

@budda: I have sent you a PM.

Thanks again,
Calvin

bigjoe4

Reaction score
The "home" and "contact/affiliates" buttons could be improved, I think it looks better if the actual text does not change size, only the button. I really like the silver buttons at the top though, the red mouseover looks cool, except on the "horror/drama" button where the "drama" moves.

Last edited:

VPmase

Reaction score
You should change your color schema... It doesn't look professional at all. And you don't really have a decent design for your site. Add some blending and background images.

chisaku

Reaction score
I've commented on your beautiful story, Wo Ai Ni - Chapter 1. :)

Now for the site review...

My first thought about your homepage is that I don't quite like the top banner. I know you've worked hard to get the layout right, but I dislike gradients. =[ Or metallic colours... that remind me of car sites. The font reminds me of cars as well...

If you'd have the extra bucks, go for a tablet or a scanner! Make your own unique handwritten page title! I recommend Gimp. Then you could download some appropiate brushes if you don't like doing graphics yourself, or then you could hire an artist here for credits or for real money on DeviantArt as an example. Having good pictures makes me quite interested in the content of the site. Remeber to make a color scheme of very few colors and apply them to the site in a balanced manner.

The literature is placed well on a background color that is easy to read on. The literature is fantastic on the other hand! It doesn't make justice to it to not be in book form!

It was great to explore this site's literature! Thanks!

~Chisaku