Rumour: Windows Vista - $99

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Microsoft expect that by reducing the price, piracy will become less attractive (and the sale of more legitimate copies should cover the lost revenue). Additionally, Vista is likely to force alot of people to upgrade their computers, faced with having to pay a sigificant sum for the OS aswell as the hardware upgrades, Microsoft is worried the majority will simply wait until their exisiting system is beyond use.

News Source: Vista Knowledge

News Source: MicroTechXP

WOW. If this is true then I will be the first one getting it. Tell me what you think? :eek:wned: :kdubb: :drool:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I saw this to and almost fell on the floor laughing. Theres no way its going to sell for 99 $ Of course there are about 6 different versions coming out of it.

dsfreak

Reaction score
Microsoft isn't that nice. <<< All I can say about it. Sept, if it was, I would buy it, unless I code my own OS.

N

Nathan

They'll sell for 99 USD, while you spend another 800 USD upgrading your machine to 2gbs RAM, 3.2ghz or better processor and a 128mb x8 PCI-X video card or better.

chaganlal1

Reaction score
THat is so true with it maybe being 100 dollars it will surely cut down on privacy and that i truely believe. But most of all i think those are in fact Rumors and that windows vista cannot be sold for that low. If it does turn out to be true i am gonna be the first one to get it :)

Vietkid58

Reaction score
i agree... a cheap price means more people will be likely to get it legally... Hope the rumors are true

Kommercial

Reaction score
I'm not getting Vista, I'll move to Linux because I give Microsoft anymore money. XP is fine, leave it alone.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
If Vista is going to be that low then they would have learned a thing or two from apple. They keep there prices low now becasue then people can buy it not pirate it. The Tigger is $130 but when version 10 came out for mac it was $300.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Its still not going to stop pirating. It might slow it down but it will never stop. Like I said before theres no way its going to be 99 bucks.

n4tec

Reaction score
the price seems fine and cheap to me too..

Richard

Reaction score
This is a classic broken telephone story. I read and article a few weeks ago about this.

Microsoft is thinking about a cheep version of Windows but there are a few conditions.
  1. It will only be sold only in places like Tailand where piracy is very high
  2. It will be a cut down version of Windows
  3. It will be called Windiws Starter Edition
  4. It will be sold for $99

Weather they are going to do this remains to be seen but my question is what could you possibly cut down! Windows comes with hardly anything in the first place.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Now this I can see. But here in Canada, Vista will probably go for about 400 bucks. Maybe a bit cheaper.

Richard said:
This is a classic broken telephone story. I read and article a few weeks ago about this.

Microsoft is thinking about a cheep version of Windows but there are a few conditions.
  1. It will only be sold only in places like Tailand where piracy is very high
  2. It will be a cut down version of Windows
  3. It will be called Windiws Starter Edition
  4. It will be sold for $99
Weather they are going to do this remains to be seen but my question is what could you possibly cut down! Windows comes with hardly anything in the first place.

N

Nathan

Now this is the true price of Vista.*

*Based on the quality of Microsoft products.

Last edited by a moderator:

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
LOL very funny dewaye! Also to Richard that starters edition will be for XP not vista.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Actually the starter edition is the first out of the windows vista series. It might be an update from xp to vista or be called xp starter edition but make no mistake It is part of the vista series. I will back up my claim when I find the right link.

MicrotechXP said:
LOL very funny dewaye! Also to Richard that starters edition will be for XP not vista.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
$99!!!!
Probably you are talking about US$, right?

How come it is so cheap?
You can't get this OS in such a cheap price man except you are his staff or you have some relationships with him (Don't get make worng on that :p)

Or there must be some traps and tricks in it, eg:
- VERY limited version of Windows
- only apply to some places only (eg high-piracy places)
- there are hidden prices or bundled products for the sale

If Bill Gates is really going to be that generous, I expect his next step is to sell his OS in open-source form. :p

PS: All the above are just joking. :D

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Well I guess I cant find my link, but the only windows Starter edition that is out was released in '04 so I dont know.

NewFuture

Reaction score
Dewayne said:
They'll sell for 99 USD, while you spend another 800 USD upgrading your machine to 2gbs RAM, 3.2ghz or better processor and a 128mb x8 PCI-X video card or better.
dont forget a 64 bit porcessor there way more expensive, though there might be some fact in such a low os price, theyll want you to buy it as its so cheap then fool you into paying loads to upgrade