running a web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFuture

Reaction score
anyone who runs there own server, is ther any chance allowing me to host my site, for some kind of rewards?

Cynical

Reaction score
I use NetworkActiv 3.5 -- its free, simple, and reliable.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I dont see anyone doing this because they would have to leave there computer on 24 hours a day unless they had a seperate machine for the server to be on, even then it would probably eat up your bandwidth.

NewFuture said:
anyone who runs there own server, is ther any chance allowing me to host my site, for some kind of rewards?

oscar.j4l

Reaction score
bigguy said:
I dont see anyone doing this because they would have to leave there computer on 24 hours a day unless they had a seperate machine for the server to be on, even then it would probably eat up your bandwidth.

NewFuture said:

Yeah, but it also depends on what you wanna host, like if you're just gonna have a crappy html page, you can go with hosting it at home, but if your gonna have HUGE files up for download, it would eat up your bandwidth and would be a pain in the @ss for the visitors, because of the really slow downloads.

But like i said, running just an HTML page shoulden't cause a problem... :coolugh:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
bigguy said:

oscar.j4l said:
Yeah, but it also depends on what you wanna host, like if you're just gonna have a crappy html page, you can go with hosting it at home, but if your gonna have HUGE files up for download, it would eat up your bandwidth and would be a pain in the @ss for the visitors, because of the really slow downloads.

But like i said, running just an HTML page shoulden't cause a problem...

Any bandwidth issues that come up would most likely be answered with one simple question:

- What type of connection do you have? What are your upload and download speeds? What is your connections cap?

I myself never had any problems with the speed visitors could download files off my home server when I had it running. I don't know if that is just me though, with my connection. :-\

Also.. This thread is a good 1 week+ old. If you need any help though setting anything up Dosworld, you can PM me for help. I have set many different servers (HTTP, MySQL, FTP, etc) in the past.

Last edited:

Josh

Uber No0b
Reaction score
If you're running a webserver and you have dsl its gonna be slow unless you get t1 or something

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I actually wanted to try uot xampp so I switched server software for a bit and I got to say its very nice to. Layed out a bit different than Netserver but really nice to use.

n4tec

Reaction score
bigguy said:
I actually wanted to try uot xampp so I switched server software for a bit and I got to say its very nice to. Layed out a bit different than Netserver but really nice to use.

Good to see you have used Xampp and liked it.. i like the xampp control panel..

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Its a very simple control panel. I wish there were a couple more options though.

n4tec

Reaction score
bigguy said:
Its a very simple control panel. I wish there were a couple more options though.

what else do you want? did you download the full verion or the lite version?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I got the full version. I dont know but theres not much there.

orateyouth

Reaction score
i use wamp (Windows Apache Mysql Php) that comes with phpmyadmin on windows xp and that seems to work good for me. extremely easy to install and comes with every plugin you will need from running a server on a home pc.

sunils

Reaction score
Its an old thread. Please do not revive old threads. I am just closing this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.