Service Suggestion: shell provider

IonCannon218

Reaction score
I would to suggest an addition to your services.

I suggest having a shell server.
You can have it with a web package on the web servers or have a deciated server(s) separately.

I will be glad to help out with this if the staff decides to give this a try.

This can benefit people who want to try out Linux without installing Linux on their computers.

kajasweb

Reaction score
Shell access is not provided for security reasons. I don't think any Free Web host gives this feature. Corey has to take the final decision.

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
I've seen free shell providers in the past, they become very overloaded, very fast, and people start complaining about that.. I currently help out with a shell provider, sorta like I do here, it'd be too much. If they want to try linux without installing it, buy a shell account. They're cheap. ;)

Last edited:

IonCannon218

Reaction score
Well, what if a 15/16 year old kid wants one and don't have a credit card or PayPal?

That is my situation...

Last edited:

xnguyenx

Reaction score
Install Cygwin? its a linux emulator on windows :) Pretty nifty.

or install wubi, linux(ubuntu) installer that makes it easy to install and remove linux(ubuntu) like it is a windows application.

or be hardcore gansta and install it with a live cd.

IonCannon218

Reaction score
I do actually have Ubuntu installed on an old PC, but what I want o do requires a fast computer with internet connection...

Or i can wait for Multiverse to start providing servers....

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
I'd advise the kid to get a part time job, and either borrow the parents card and pay them back, or get a pre-paid card from say, walgreens or something and use it. If the kid (teen) is that old, he/she should know by now, Nothing is free. ;)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Something like innotek VirtualBox is free, and you can install one of the distributions in that to make use of your internet connection.