Setting up DNS for x10hosting

nilzxx

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sick of E-Mail downtime caused by x10hosting. I'm using Google Apps and I used to MX forward to Google Apps through the cPanel of x10. Currently my account is suspended (inactivity, i know, my fault). Now I can't receive any E-Mails due to this.

I want to set up the DNS Zone File from my registrar to forward mail (MX) directly to Google Apps and forward the web traffic back to x10hosting.

I'm a brutal beginner when it comes to DNS Zone editing, so I need your help on this. My options are A, MX, CNAME, FWD, and TXT. I used MX for mail and also FWD to forward a subdomain to another URL. My questions is, how can I still link my x10hosting account to this? It still lists the nameservers on the registrar's page, but I'd assume that would conflict. There is no NS option in the DNS Zone editing page.

How should I do this?

Many thanks in advance!!

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Hi, For using zone records at your domain registrar's control panel you need to know the following things.
1)A record:-This is called answer record.It contains the IP address of your webhost, which is subject to change time to time.You can find this record using cPanel's advanced DNS zone editor.This is an important DNS record because this tells a browser where to find your site.
2)MX record:- These are mail exchange records and you can find it using google apps help section.
3)CNAME optional (copy it from cPanel if applicable)
4)TXT optional
5)FWD optional

The worst thing about using zone records is that if IP of your webhost will change then your site won't be reachable and best thing about it is that if your host goes offline then your site's mail server and other cname records doesn't.

Another important thing is TTL(time to live).Whenever you want to change A record just set the lower value of TTL before 2 days of doing this.So your site will be down for very short time.

Hope this helps.
Good luck. :)

Last edited:

alexbryant9840

Reaction score
Is there a way to use an A record with my current registrar to direct a subdomain to x10hosting? I have a lot of records set up already and don't feel like moving them. My registrar is GoDaddy.

IGNORE THIS! I FOUND MY ANSWER!

Last edited: