SMF - Is it secure?

Fearghal

Reaction score
I was wondering..

How secure is SMF?

Normally I put a little htaccess file in the admin dir for some backup security, I feel naked without having the ability to do that with SMF.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to make it more secure or any comments on the strength of the security in the latest release of 2.0 RC2?

Thanks,
Fearghal

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I am using SMF, It is ok for me. Till now no problems.

The security concerns comes like how you set the permissions to the directories and files, How you select passwords etc...

Regarding the SMF 2.0 RC2, It is ok, but because it is not final version, It is not recommended to put it on main site.

I got problem with SMF 1.1.x that is spamming but immediately I taken care of adding the capcha. It was 8 months back.

But any system depends on how you monitor. And How your servers are maintained. Here on X10, I didn't got any major problems with security.

Fearghal

Reaction score
I am using SMF, It is ok for me. Till now no problems.

The security concerns comes like how you set the permissions to the directories and files, How you select passwords etc...

Regarding the SMF 2.0 RC2, It is ok, but because it is not final version, It is not recommended to put it on main site.

I got problem with SMF 1.1.x that is spamming but immediately I taken care of adding the capcha. It was 8 months back.

But any system depends on how you monitor. And How your servers are maintained. Here on X10, I didn't got any major problems with security.

Okay. thanks :)

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, it's safe I either use that or phpbb if my vbulletin license is used.

Danielx386

Reaction score
meh, I like to go with where there a good support forum, mybb or phpbb. I don't see that many people on smf forums