Spore

jaint

Reaction score
Spore is a computer and video game under development by Maxis, and designed by Will Wright. It simulates the complete history and future of life. Its concept, scope, and development philosophy (broad use of procedural generation) have drawn wide attention.

Spore is, at first glance, a "teleological evolution" game or god game: the player molds and guides a species across many generations, growing it from a single-celled organism into a more complex animal, until the species becomes intelligent. At this point the player begins molding and guiding this species' society, progressing towards a spacefaring civilization. Spore's main innovation portends to be Wright's use of procedural generation for many of the components of the game, providing vast scope and open-endedness. Wright said "I didn't want to make players feel like Luke Skywalker or Frodo Baggins. I wanted them to be like George Lucas or J.R.R. Tolkien."

The game was first revealed and demonstrated to the public during a speech on procedural generation at the 2005 Game Developers Conference (GDC). It is currently being developed by Maxis and is to be published by Electronic Arts.

looks great!

jaint

Reaction score
theres a ton of trailers out for it, i already knew about it but i'm surprised no one mentioned it on the forum. The game is like The Sims only it deals with evolution, and you get to evolve your creature and slowly build up a city, and then later on in the game you get to travel through space and interact with other planets and universes. You can wage wars and stuff, sounds amazing and its going to be released next year in like January or Febuary.

jeffrios

Reaction score
Well it seems like this game is on track for a 2008 release! Is anyone else excited for it?

Laos101

Reaction score
Mind not just quoting, and putting your own opinion?

as for release, i'm excited, it sounds like a really good game, with a long running process and really open ended. I may get a demo

QuwenQ

Reaction score
This is the most anticipated game for me. This looks absolutely GREAT!

Swiblet

Reaction score
I never really liked the Sims, so I'm not too excited about this game either =/ But hey, if I don't have to pay for it, I really don't mind trying it out. I'd like to see what Will Wright can do with evolving an amoeba and making it fun =P

~~B3N

VPmase

Reaction score
This game is freakin incredible. Not only do I want to play it, I want to view the source code. =D

jeffrios

Reaction score
UPDATE:

This game is going to be released on Sept. 7th 2008. By an official statement by EA!!!

www.spore.com

Its good to see that its on its track and not delayed!

AntMJ2317

Reaction score
this game just emits awesomeness, i heard that it's so coding intensive that only 3.5Ghz PC's and up can process the information fast enough for a good framerate

Last edited: