Suse Linux 32bit versus 64bit.

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
I have a 64 bit laptop and want to know, what are the pros and cons of using 64bit version of Suse linux rather than a 32bit one?

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
There aren't really as many cons for 64-bit Linux as there are for 64-bit Windows. Most open source applications support 64-bit, but the closed source ones might give you problems if they don't offer a 64-bit version. Flash, for example, is only 32-bit, so you have to either run 32-bit Firefox or use nspluginwrapper. Alternatively, there's an open source version of Flash called Gnash but it still has some bugs. Ubuntu can set up Flash automatically for you on a 64-bit machine, but I don't know about SUSE.

Last edited:

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
ok, i think im going to use 32bit first, then upgrade later because i have some 32bit only programs.

plus, i need 32bit on my other computer and ran outta dvd's lol

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
I use 64bit Gentoo. Only disadvantage is I have to use a 32bit browser for flash and a 64bit one for other videos or audio.

I do have nspluginwrapper working, but it has a bug that makes it only register a click after you click outside of the flash application. Its fine for watching flash videos, but not for flash games. Also, there's no Java in 64bit browsers and I can't compile it for the 32bit one. Never really been a problem though.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
ok, i think im going to use 32bit first, then upgrade later because i have some 32bit only programs.l
Do you mean 32-bit Linux programs or Windows programs through Wine? Wine will run 32-bit Windows apps fine on a 64-bit installation, and there should be 64-bit packages for Linux apps.

HomerJ

Reaction score
im talking about 32 bit linux apps

32bit apps can run on a 64bit platform. I can play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on 64bit Gentoo.

As long as you have multilib (32bit and 64bit libraries) you are fine. In Gentoo that is the default, in Suse, it should be possible (probably the default as well).