System Not Starting

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
I just built a system for my friend, but nothing is happening when I try to boot it up(I'm using the power button on the motherboard itself).

His specs are:
XFX X58i Motherboard
Intel Core i7 965 Extreme CPU
NVIDIA BFG GTX 260
Antec 902 case
Coolmax 700w PSU
I'm pretty sure the rest is irrelevant at the moment.

I've tried switching the RAM slots. I'm pretty sure I've gotten everything plugged in securely and correctly, but I'll double check. Is there anything I should make sure I have done?

Last edited:

slacker3

Reaction score
remove all extension cards, (i.e. graphic, network cards, etc.), HDD's, CD/DVD's, unnecessary cables and RAM
if it's still not starting, try another PSU
try another CPU
get a new mainboard

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
When you tried to fire up the PC for the first time, did the fans start up or did you get any beeps? If the power supply energizes but nothing else happens, check the CPU out as it's either seated wrong or it's damaged (more than likely a pin or two), and also check the power connectors on the motherboard too. Normally it's a CPU that prevents a POST. Faulty or incorrect RAM and Video are usually signaled with beeps, but they can also cause "no-POST" issues as well.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
When I tried to start it up, nothing happened. I don't have a speaker connected to the motherboard, because the case does not have one. The fans did not start up at all, not even a jerk. I've reseated the CPU, but I haven't checked the pins yet(I'll do that right now). Is there any power connector in particular I should pay attention to? I've ensured that the 12V connector and the main ATX connector is secure.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not much of an expert here but that seriously sounds like just a straight up psu error. Even on the pc's I've had in the past, if the cpu failed the fans still started or at least jerked somewhat before the system shut itself back off.

There's a cheesy way to find out if that's whats causing it though; borrow a PSU from a working system and hook it up, and see if it turns the new system on then. If the pre-tested psu works and the system starts up, it's a bad psu. If it doesn't, it's something else.

Edit: should quick clarify I have extremely limited experience with cpu/psu failure - I've had 1 cpu fail from overheat, and 1 psu that was sporadically failing (shutting the hdd off while I was using it), but in the case of the cpu the pc was still showing signs of life, just not passing POST.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The fans did not start up at all, not even a jerk.

Sounds like power supply failure to me. Did the fan on the power supply itself start? That would be a clue. Somebody brought me a "dead" PC a couple of days ago with similar symptoms. Put a voltmeter on a couple of the power supply output cables and got nothing.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
I see. I'll try to use a different power supply to see if it works. Thanks for the advice. :)

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
The light on the motherboard is always on when I turn on the PSU. Does that make any difference?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The light on the motherboard is always on when I turn on the PSU. Does that make any difference?

That means the PSU is very likely operating correctly and the problem is probably somewhere else. I would take a very close look at the CPU next and then consider possibility of a motherboard failure.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
We found the problem. Apparently the motherboard wasn't grounded. My friend built the computer beforehand, and I just had to come wire and overclock it. It works fine now. :p

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
We found the problem. Apparently the motherboard wasn't grounded. My friend built the computer beforehand, and I just had to come wire and overclock it. It works fine now. :p

Great news!
Glad you got it sorted out.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score

Great news. Nothing like checking over the connections to make sure it's good to go. It must have been a safety feature in the motherboard to refuse to POST if no ground has been detected.

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
Great news. Nothing like checking over the connections to make sure it's good to go. It must have been a safety feature in the motherboard to refuse to POST if no ground has been detected.

My friend called XFX, and they told him about the grounding. I have never encountered this problem before, so I didn't really know enough to check for this. :p

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
My friend called XFX, and they told him about the grounding. I have never encountered this problem before, so I didn't really know enough to check for this. :p

I haven't encountered it either, but the geek in me did consider power as a likely option away from the CPU. I've never seen a motherboard actually fail to boot out of the box. I have however seen a Northbridge cook itself somehow on a non-overclocked system. Wasn't a pleasant smell what so ever :\

Last edited:

Grandcruiser

Reaction score
I haven't encountered it either, but the geek in me did consider power as a likely option away from the CPU. I've never seen a motherboard actually fail to boot out of the box. I have however seen a Northbridge cook itself somehow on a non-overclocked system. Wasn't a pleasant smell what so ever :\

Wow. I have never heard of a Northbridge cooking. :p