Teaching myself PHP -> Question on variables

Fearghal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know there's a lot of coding pros on here so I thought this would be the best place to ask this question :cool:

I was wondering, is there any way to pull variables off the user's computer such as the computer name, their username, profile location etc? Like the variables you would use in cmd?

I know it's probably unlikely, or at least a complex process... does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Unless the PHP script is running on that computer, no. Besides, that would be a huge privacy problem if it was available, would you really want anyone on the internet taking all your computer info?

Fearghal

Reaction score
Unless the PHP script is running on that computer, no. Besides, that would be a huge privacy problem if it was available, would you really want anyone on the internet taking all your computer info?

Hmm I suppose you're right. Thanks :)

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You can use cookies/sessions if you want to retain some state between calls to the server.

Fearghal

Reaction score
Jotform.com is able to identify users who keep returning even if they wipe their cache, temporary files and cookies without asking the user for a username... I would like to know how...

But, would cookies and sessions not be lost after a history wipe?

I should also note I use a dyn IP, so I don't think its an IP identification either.

Last edited:

brutetal

Reaction score
Jotform.com uses cookies to store data.

The ISP records what ip you have at the time and what you change to unless you change providers of course.

A history wipe will only wipe cookies if the option is selected to or they simply expire.
Sessions are based on server/website settings when they will be deleted not on the user's computer.